Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Conserving in winter has paid off nowI'

I'm on equal billing for both hydro and gas, so my gas bill has been about 100 bucks per month regardless of what I use. This winter I was conserving by keeping the heat at 15C or so, and only using a small 500w heater in the room I was in, as it cost less to run that then to heat up the whole house to 17 or so which is comfortable.

Today I got my gas bill, and because I accumulated so much credit, it is $0. It's actually kinda funny since it still says to pay by the due date or there will be late charges applied. I will laugh if I actually see a transaction in my bank for $0.

To top it off, my phone bill this month will be 35 cents because I resubscribed to my 1 year contract which gives me a credit. It's going to be a good month.

Red Squirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post

Today I got my gas bill, and because I accumulated so much credit, it is $0. It's actually kinda funny since it still says to pay by the due date or there will be late charges applied. I will laugh if I actually see a transaction in my bank for $0.
:

let's see how funny you think it is when you don't send them a check for $0 and they really do charge you a late fee.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #3

no teenage daughters in that house i see
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Nope, I live alone, which is nice, I pretty much get to put the climate at what I want. :D When I get visit or something I'd usually put it at like 20ish. The lower floor, where the thermostat is, gets cooler then the floor where my office is, so while it may be 15 there, it's more like 17 in my office.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Nope, I live alone, which is nice, I pretty much get to put the climate at what I want. :D When I get visit or something I'd usually put it at like 20ish. The lower floor, where the thermostat is, gets cooler then the floor where my office is, so while it may be 15 there, it's more like 17 in my office.

Being metric challanged, it sure does seem cold in your house....
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

15C = 59F, so it's not too bad. I'm used to it since at work it's usually around that temp all year round. Was actually +12 at one point because they could not put the heat on at all. Some dumbass figured it would be smart to put the server room and the office on the same boiler zone. They finally fixed that now.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Funny, I've had 3 0$ bills so far. Just got another today! I'm liking this, I just hope they did not make a mistake or something and I end up having to make up for it. It says there's a bit over 100 bucks on my account so I have a feeling I'll get normal bills now, but they'll probably be rather low. At first I was not sure if I liked equal billing as I could not really see the benefit of conserving, but now I'm seeing it. If I can get a bill that is under 100 bucks all winter, that will be pretty good! Last year it was about $100 or so which is still pretty low compared to some people.

I think I'm going to push the envelope, and add some R40 worth of insulation in the attic. I already have about R40 or so up there. I believe the code calls for 60.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 10-20-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #8

Wow thats some great saving, good job. There is no possible way I could keep my house at 59. Its at 62 now and Im still always freezing. Better than my mothers house though, she lives in Florida and when its 95 out she still has the heat on!

HelplesBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote