Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Complete tiny home plan

Hi all! I've been looking into mini homes and I'm vry excited at the affordability of having one. Here is my plan and my goal.

My goal is to have a nice 400sqft home that I can live in for approximately $20k. I've been looking at property and plans. I will post links when I can. I don't even know where to begin though so that is why I'm here.

I want the house to have a kitchen/living space, a full bathroom, a work room for computer work, and two lofts where I can sleep and have guests. Please keep in mind that my budget is a maximum of $25k. I want a basement, but that is optional depending on the cost, and I also want to add a porch when I can.

Maybe I'll draw up what I want real quick for you guys, but I look forward to getting the information I need to make this a reality, and as a token of my gratitude, I offer my help for anyone else who has similar goals.

Please note that all costs are included in the goal of $20,000, including the cost of inspection.

You can find a free tiny home plan here. http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/wp-co...e-plans-v2.pdf (This one is not exactly what I want though, but maybe if you put two of them together it could be something that I want)

Last edited by Poppins; 06-27-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,320

Complete tiny home plan

You did not include your location in your profile.
I this area just the septic, land, getting power to the house and foundation will cost all of $20,000 and much more.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Complete tiny home plan

So ... are you asking us a question or just trying to drive traffic to your website?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Complete tiny home plan

Uh oh, that doesn't sound good. I live in Michigan, I want the house to be within 100 miles of Detroit.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5

Complete tiny home plan

I'm asking questions, there is no advertisement involved here.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,294

Complete tiny home plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete
So ... are you asking us a question or just trying to drive traffic to your website?
I saw it as a Spammer from the start. Only had to read the first sentence, to figure this one out.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,320

Complete tiny home plan

http://architecture.about.com/od/per...na-Cottage.htm
Old 06-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

Complete tiny home plan

Ok so between septic and electricity, I can expect over $20k? What if I set my budget to $30k? Realistically, what is the cheapest I can expect?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

Complete tiny home plan

Really guys, thank you so much for the help. I'm not a spammer, I just want a house that I can live in. Thank you thank you thank you
Old 06-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Complete tiny home plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppins
Ok so between septic and electricity, I can expect over $20k? What if I set my budget to $30k? Realistically, what is the cheapest I can expect?
$80-200,300k, who knows. No one can give you a realistic figure on the Internet. Think of it like a sitcom. You have a fantasy persona or storyline, written by others, to project a sense of reality that is not there.

If you really want answers to your questions and are setious in building it, you need to be talking to contractors and realtors.

Not every place in te world is going to go for around $25-45/sqft to build the structure. Nor is land going to go for $5,000.00, or taxes for zero a year.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #11

Complete tiny home plan

I was planning on building the house myself as far as I can. I have tools. I want to deny that it will cost any more than $100k especially if I am building the house by myself. I'm looking for property right now and checking out building plans, but I really want to come up with my own plan. I just don't know about the foundation especially if I want a basement. How much will it cost to dig out a 400sqft hole? Does it depend on location?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Complete tiny home plan

Considering Detroit is on the top 3 list of foreclosure capitals, you could probably buy a bank foreclosure , renovate it to acceptable standards and end up paying much less.....
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Complete tiny home plan

Again, we cannot tell you. This is the Internet, not a bank or a General contractor you are signing the papers to put them to work.

In the industry, what you are doing is called Kicking the tires, or Window shopping.

Only way you will fin out what it costs for your area to build te same aized unit with a basement, is to go to your county zoning office and building permit office, along with pulling tax records on like sized structures in your area.

Right know if I was to rebuild my home, which has a 821/sqft basement, same size for the main floor, it would cost over $150k all together. That is permits, demo and building a new foundation, utilities, sewer, water, gas install, labor and materials.

We see anywhere from $65/sqft to $135/sqft in my area, depenfing on where the struture is being built, who is doing the work, and the materials that are being used, along with if it is a slab, basement or crawlspace.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #14

Complete tiny home plan

I saw someone who has a mini home on youtube who said that they paid $20k for their house. Man, I don't want to give up so I might just come up with a plan and have you guys critique it if youre willing. I really don't want to pay more than $20k. It looks like I can get property for $4k
Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Complete tiny home plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppins
I saw someone who has a mini home on youtube who said that they paid $20k for their house. Man, I don't want to give up so I might just come up with a plan and have you guys critique it if youre willing. I really don't want to pay more than $20k. It looks like I can get property for $4k
I just say some guy on Youtube floating across the London Bridge also. Then saw how they did it and found out it was one big joke.

If you believe that someone can build a home and purchase property and pay the party digging a hole for a basement, along with laying utilities and permits, you need to quit watching the Snake oil videos on Youtube.

Min. for badic materials for the structure may be around $20k, but that could have been almost ten years ago, and with no electric or appliances or fixtures in it.

Just a shell with siding, shingles, a door and cheap windows, no insulation or finished inside.