Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Chimp Change for DIY Web Content Articles

I thought I might mention that I have been having some fun doing simple, 500 or so word articles for one of the many companies that supplies content for the web like those that appear at the bottom of this site. I can crank them out while watching tv or something and magically $15 or so each gets kicked into my PayPal account. I have been working with Demand Studios but there are more out there. You just have to learn their formats, come up with a couple of URLs, books, articles, whatever to reference and you are good to go. If you are not the greatest writer, their editors will kick back suggestions for changes. Topics to write about are available for everything you could imagine---not just home improvement. At Demand Studios How To articles just have to have five steps or something, a statement of difficulty, and a materials list. We do that interacting with each other all the time on this site? Why not pick up some chimp change doing it?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  35.5 KB

Where would you go to find out more without actually applying for the position online?

edit: Where can you find examples of work that has been successfully submitted?

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 12-06-2009 at 09:12 AM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

eHow.com seems to be a major consumer of Demand Studios articles. That will give you a feel for them. Not sure why they won't let people explore more before signing up. Here is one I did on choosing paint color if that helps give you an idea. I think eHow has their own payment program too, by the way. Helium is another one. Knowledge genie approaches things a little different and lets you set up your own expertise thing and you get paid when people access it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5409777_choo...int-color.html

Last edited by user1007; 12-07-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Most of what I earn anymore is Chump Change anyway. Maybe I should look into this "Chimp Change" stuff.

But 500 words? Let's see, that is about one page, right? Not too sure I can condense any truly effective instruction into such a small comment. No wonder reading some of those eHow articles frustrates me so.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #5

Could you write several articles about the same subject and title them "***** Part 1" "***** Part 2" etc.?
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You can suggest article series on the Demand Studios site and others I suppose. I broke a rather lengthy article I wrote long ago and did nothing with on drip irrigation into pieces.

500 words is a bit challenging and I have backed away from some topics that I feel I cannot even begin to address in so few words. I do think if you put your mind to it, you can come up with at least a good starting point in so few words though. DS has started a new feature where authors can flag those articles that cannot be approached in so few words and those that are inappropriate or dangerous.

I also am diligent about providing quality links required for further research and information and locating illustrations or photos when I can. I did a piece on lost wax casting and linked to a really long article on the topic. That is what is taking me the time to complete things and I should probably not care so much. There are some sites out there that allow 1,000-1,500 words but that is still not alot. They don't pay as well either and I guess I am greedy.

Last edited by user1007; 12-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Safe, Most of the Time!!

sdsester; I clicked on all of your articles, I did not notice any pictures posted on any of them. Is this something they don't allow? Trying to explain something without pictures can be a little ruff for some people to grasp.

You stated that you sometimes link to a more lengthy article, could you post an article here in the how to section, put a "teaser" on ehow with a link back to this site?

Do you get paid by the click on ehow, or is it a flat rate for posting the article?

Is the 500 word limit the absolute maximum?

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have never written anything for eHow directly but you can. eHow has been buying content I have written and assembled from Demand Studios and whether they take the photos and so forth provided is out of my control. Only a portion of what I have written and been paid for has appeared anywhere else yet as far as I know. There are many more subscribing sites DS serves than eHow.

Once you try an article on Demand Studios (and the first time it will drive you nuts until you get used to the format of choice), each section will offer an option to add a photo or illustration, etc. As long as there are not copyright issues, they are more than welcome and encouraged.

I don't know how Dave will feel about it but I have been thinking of doing just that if he would allow longer articles posted here for free I would love to be able to expand on some things I cannot cover in 500 words. There would have to be a legacy URL of some sort though to link to. And Demand Studios does have a plagarism policy. Would they consider an abstraction submitted to them from a larger How To posted here in that category? Not sure if it was the same author. Obviously they are in the business of selling original content.

I like Demand Studios because their rates are a little more straight forward than the per click content folks and others I explored. There are article topics available from $5-15 flat rate as I remember although I only claim the $15 ones. They do have a speculative option where you write on spec and get paid by the click or something but I haven't tried one of those yet.

I don't think anybody will hunt you down and kill you if you are over or under 500 by a few but I don't know how far you can stretch things. Clearly DS business model is based on the 500 word target?

Last edited by user1007; 12-07-2009 at 07:53 PM.