CFL Bulbs - Bad For Your Health? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,340

CFL bulbs - bad for your health?

This is interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOcfS...layer_embedded

You'll love the meter reading in the reporters home.

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Hmm interesting. Wonder if neon tube lights are also bad then. That is probably the most cost effective way for large scale lighting (ex: warehouses, garages etc) and has been in used for so long.

The problem with CFLs is they have the ballast built in. To me this is a waste, and chances are they are very cheap ballasts. They should have a system where you buy the ballast seperately, pay decent, but it would be better quality, then the bulbs would be cheap, and plug into the ballast. A new type of socket, or something.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

HHmm, I guess all those millions upon millions of standard fluorescent fixtures just are different somehow.

I guess we should revert to DC power and incandescent lamps and no more computers or televisions.

I believe the meter he was using was a Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter. I have no idea what it actually measures. You don't need to plug in a meter to read EMF or RF which is what they are claiming is the underlying problem that is caused by the harmonics (dirty power)

anybody familiar with a Graham-Stetzer Microsurge meter?

Maybe I'm blind but can anybody find the "be green" link on the website she mentions?

http://www.cbc.ca/tvnewsmontreal/

Last edited by nap; 09-22-2010 at 10:56 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,340

What the professor said about the 37 asthmatic children in the Wisconsin school was interesting. I wonder if they'll ever ban CFL's in schools like they have banned peanut butter sandwiches.

Nap, maybe it's an older newscast and has been replaced? I couldn't find it either.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

I read an article on these bulbs sometime ago that was written by a Canadian researcher. He concluded that in colder environments, they were not very efficient because the reduced energy consumption lead to colder temperatures in a room which resulted in the occupant turning up the thermostat. I seems reasonable to me as I had to turn on a fan to cool off my bonus room as I write this because having the ceiling lights on has raised the temperature of the room.

I don't care for "green" devices as I tend to think that they are junk, a scam, or both. These bulbs are a perfect example. They're expensive to buy, they may lead to higher heating costs in cold climates and they contain mercury, which makes the hair stand up on the heads of environmentalists. I also read something about some home fuel cell that was going to revolutionize home energy and be env. friendly. As it turns out, these cells don't run on good will - they need natural gas or other combustibles. Whoopee! Maybe I should market 55 gal drums that run on wood logs as a home fuel cell.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #6

I bought most of mine when local electric companies offered $4 off coupons on 4 paks
Then the 4 paks dropped below $4...so I stocked up on bulbs for free
Electric here is not a cheap way to heat a house
And depending upon how your electric is produced the lower electric needed means a net reduction in mercury released into the environment
Almost every bulb in my house is CFL
Vast majority of business lighting for decades has been flourescent lights
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

It appears there is that one doctor (Havas) that is touting this. Here is an article that speaks to the situation from the other side and even give a bit of clarity on the studies cited in the video posted previously:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6897

If you notice in this blog, every problem cited was attributed to Dr. Havas' studies and conclusions.

http://weepnews.blogspot.com/2010/03...ijack-new.html

If anybody wants a GS meter, you can get one from this website for about $100.

http://www.lessemf.com/unique.html

Last edited by nap; 09-22-2010 at 11:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-23-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I bought most of mine when local electric companies offered $4 off coupons on 4 paks
Then the 4 paks dropped below $4...so I stocked up on bulbs for free
Electric here is not a cheap way to heat a house
And depending upon how your electric is produced the lower electric needed means a net reduction in mercury released into the environment
Almost every bulb in my house is CFL
Vast majority of business lighting for decades has been flourescent lights
If you are referring to my post, I wasn't talking about any particular method to heat the house, just that the reduced temperature emitted by the bulbs would lead to the homeowner turning up the thermostat to compensate. I suppose that if they area you live in has high electricity costs and cheap natural gas, then the effect in winter would be negligible or perhaps beneficial. Whatever the case, I thought his study was interesting for that point.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

I'd be curious to see the data on that study... specifically, what measurable increase in temperature you could possibly get from running 5 or 6 incandescent bulbs in, say, a 400sf room at 40 degrees.
RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #10

I don't remember the name of the article or the author - I read it about a year ago. However, as previously if I turn my ceiling lights on in my bonus room, which is about 600 sqft, I have to turn the ceiling fans on. I don't know what the temperature change is, but it's enough that I can feel sweat running down my neck - I imagine it's has to be a 5-10 degree difference. And, of course, the effect is greater in my bonus room as it is on the second floor. I've heard some people complain about plasma tv's and the increased room temperature that they cause, but I've never experienced.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

I have always had to wear sunglasses in areas lighted by florescent lights. I guess when we can only get CFLs, I will have to wear sunglasses at home, too.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
I don't remember the name of the article or the author - I read it about a year ago. However, as previously if I turn my ceiling lights on in my bonus room, which is about 600 sqft, I have to turn the ceiling fans on. I don't know what the temperature change is, but it's enough that I can feel sweat running down my neck - I imagine it's has to be a 5-10 degree difference. And, of course, the effect is greater in my bonus room as it is on the second floor. I've heard some people complain about plasma tv's and the increased room temperature that they cause, but I've never experienced.
depending on where you are in relation to the lights, there may not actually be an ambient temp increase but merely an IR created heat within you.

You need to know the actual ambient temp to understand what is causing you to sweat.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #13

A 100w incandescent will put out 90w of heat
Put 6 bulbs in a 400 sq ft room & that is a 540w heater
You need between 10-15w per sq ft to heat a room
Depending upon windows, insulation etc
In the winter that heat is in addition to the reg heat

As a kid I used to run (2) 100w light bulbs plus my stereo in my small bedroom to keep it warmer
Old man kept the heat at 68....maybe down to 60 at night
Wife's condo we used to put a 100w light bulb in the sink cabinet in really cold weather to keep the pipes from freezing

I ruled out buying a plasma TV due to their high wattage use...and resultant heat produced
My LCD TV uses ~104w while running
Even the heat from that will raise the temp in the room
Plus people produce heat...so 3 of us in the room w/TV running=more heat

In Canada where they have hydro power they have recommended people install incandescents in the winter instead of CFL's
---If they use oil, gas etc to heat instead of electric
Since the electricity produced by hydro is considered green & renewable
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 254

As i understand the mega mall in minnesota doesnt have an actual heating sytem , its heated with the byproduct of electrical transformers etc that power lights etc. not sure exactly how it works ...
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
As i understand the mega mall in minnesota doesnt have an actual heating sytem , its heated with the byproduct of electrical transformers etc that power lights etc. not sure exactly how it works ...
If equipment such as transformers gives off heat to the surrounding air then that warm air can be circulated through the building.
Heat from a kitchen can be captured wihtout also sending odors throughout the buildings by running ducts through the kitchen so air from elsewhere in the building can be heated, although the cost of running ducts versus the amount of heat picked up usually makes this a rare choice.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-25-2010 at 01:34 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote