Cat Has "zit Like" Lump On Her Head - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Cat has "zit like" lump on her head

Noticed while petting her, she has what looks like a zit on her head. I can move the fur around and it's a little bloody, but looks like it's dried up blood and not actively bleeding. She does not really seem to care or act differently about it, even when I was putting my fingers in that area. I'm thinking it may be a spider bite or something, and will just heal on its own. (no poisonous spiders here) She had something similar on her chin a few days ago but smaller, and it seems to be gone. Should I be concerned about this?

We need a DIY veterinary section here, or maybe that would be a bad idea?

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

does she go outside?

are there any new products in the house that might be causing an exczema like thing?

fleas?

is it spreading?

Advertisement

steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

She's an inside cat, so far there's only that one lump. I can't think of any new products in the house. She does drink water from the tap, but has always done that.

Could it be a mosquito bite? I did find a HUGE dead one in the house the other day. This seems to have surfaced more recently though, as in, within the past day.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
pest control operator

Here in northeast usa, there are no huge mosquito's. People think there are, but they are crane flies, that don't bite. Don't know what you guys have.

Please make sure that you don't have fleas. It can happen, even with indoor cats. It happened to us; I took the cat to the vet to see what was wrong, and she combed out a flea right in front of me. I was professionally embarassed, as you can imagine.

Use a flea comb, take your time. Hopefully you don't have fleas, but if you do, find them now, rather than when they find you later as the population increases.

Keep us posted. A veterinary section sounds like a good idea to me.
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

It is possible it could be an abscess if it oozes or is swollen at all. This can happen when a cat gets a small puncture wound. The puncture wound may scab over, but an infection can develop underneath the scab. Then the infection may build, rupture, ooze a bit, scab over and repeat.

Has she been in a fight recently? This is not uncommon at all in outdoor cats that fight with other cats or animals. Not so much in indoor cats unless they don't get along with housemates.

If she is eating OK and not lethargic, I'd just keep an eye on the two areas and make sure they are healing up and not just scabbing over.

Edited to add: FWIW, cats can get acne, especially on their chin which is a difficult area for them to clean. (Try licking your chin.)

Last edited by Blondesense; 10-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

It seems to be staying the same size. I managed to get a pic of it.

She does not seem bothered when I touch it, but cats can be good at hiding pain so it's not really a good indicator.

She's an indoor cat, and only pet, so it's not a fight injury, unless she fought with a spider or something lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat has "zit like" lump on her head-cat-wound-small.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #7

Either its the interface for her USB neural implant (you don't leave her and the computer alone do you?) or else she's overdue for general physical exam at her favorite vet. In my prior city there was a mobile vet that came to our house in a small RV for the same cost as us going to a brick and mortar clinic.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
pest control operator

steevel: We've been watching old x-files shows thru Netflix for about 2 years now. Mulder and Scully are hot on the neck-chip implant thing.

Red: Does the house ever shake at night? Bright lights outside? It can't be a spider, not with all the work we've accomplished!
PAbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

No, but I do wake up at 3:33 almost every night, and this weird owl keeps staring at me through the window. But it's not really an owl...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
No, but I do wake up at 3:33 almost every night, and this weird owl keeps staring at me through the window. But it's not really an owl...

Are you sure?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote