Carpet Installation Problem? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Carpet installation problem?

Does anyone here on this forum know anything about carpet installation? I'm in the process of having my carpet replaced in the basement and the guys doing the job didn't finish on Friday. I'm looking at the work so far and admittedly, I don't know the first thing about installation but I'm beginning to have my suspicions. The outline of the carpet in some places doesn't even reach the wall. Will a power stretcher stretch it to the wall in the places that it doesn't quite reach?

Should I get someone else in to look at the work before it gets completed and if so, who?

My wife is at work tonight but if she has time, she's going to phone later on tonight to give me a crash course on using her camera and I will try to post some pictures of it. I will post some pics tomorrow for sure if I can't tonight.

I called a contractor that I know and he told me not to panic and to just let them finish up and then inspect it but he said that carpets aren't his specialty.

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement

Non-handyman forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

They may have layed it out that way to make a seam. Some times it is easier to seam together and then lay in place. Give them a chance.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Thank you, rusty, for responding. My contractor said the same thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #4

Here are some pics of an installation. These pictures were taken AFTER the owner of the flooring company came into my house to fix the issues. The second picture was 3 loops of the berber that had risen and the gentleman just snipped them for a repair. It was visible from the top of the stairs (6 stairs up). I haven't paid for anything yet but at the same time, I'm skeptical that the owners are actually capable of fixing these problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Carpet installation problem?-carpet004.jpg   Carpet installation problem?-carpet013.jpg   Carpet installation problem?-carpet015.jpg   Carpet installation problem?-carpet016.jpg   Carpet installation problem?-carpet017.jpg  

Carpet installation problem?-carpet005.jpg  

Last edited by Non-handyman forever; 05-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

That is an awful installation. You should scream. The "installer" should be ashamed of himself.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I agree with rusty. That's not a professional install. I'm not sure what your options are, but I wouldn't pay a dime until it's corrected.

Personally, I'd tell them to come get all of their carpet because it's not the quality of product or install that you agreed to purchase.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantChange View Post
I agree with rusty. That's not a professional install. I'm not sure what your options are, but I wouldn't pay a dime until it's corrected.

Personally, I'd tell them to come get all of their carpet because it's not the quality of product or install that you agreed to purchase.
They took out the old carpet so I would have to pay them for that. I'm in contact with a consumer group and I'll be getting back to them shortly for advice.

Should he have snipped those loops in the berber? What can result from doing this?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

It will get fuzzy.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #9
Retired & Not Likin' It

Rewards Points: 75

"Get" nothin' it's already fuzzy. Loops should never be cut. That metal clamp-down looks pretty botched too. The edge is lifting and it looks like the bend is splitting. It mighta been a tough job on what looks like a concrete slab, but you just don't walk away from a job that looks like that. Not if you're a conscientious flooring professional anyway.

Yarns can be re-burled and the trim can be replaced. You didn't get a very high quality carpet, from the looks of it, so maybe installation cost was a factor you considered too? Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Maybe decide on a combination of repairs, replacement and/or cash settlement based on what you think you can live with from a standing position.

Too bad it's against the law to shoot people like that though.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #10

Thanks, Rusty, for hooking me up with another place to look at! In any case, that is one nasty metal job. That is super disgusting! These floors would have looked very much better finished off without the ugly, ugly silver metal! As if it isn't already yucky enough (hate metal!), it isn't even done right on the curve whatsoever! Ewww!!

Tia

Last edited by flooringgirl; 05-29-2010 at 01:12 AM.
flooringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #11

Rusty pulled us into this one ...

The seams should have been tighter, the naplock is a mess. Any loops that are fraying are probably a result of installer error. There are good installers (read: certified, trained, accredited) and there are the hacks. You are within your rights to have this job replaced.
Have a nice day.
Hi Jim and Tia.
D&D
McBrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McClain View Post
"Get" nothin' it's already fuzzy. Loops should never be cut.
Thanks for all of the replies so far guys and gals.

Should the carpet be patched where it was cut?

We were told that it was a mid priced berber and it was recommended for our basement.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non-handyman forever View Post
Thanks for all of the replies so far guys and gals.

Should the carpet be patched where it was cut?

We were told that it was a mid priced berber and it was recommended for our basement.
That would really depend on who's patching it!

Tia

Advertisement

flooringgirl is offline   Reply With Quote