Be Careful On Ladders! - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Chatroom Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Be Careful on Ladders!

I have been in construction, carpentry, roofing, etc., for nearly 30 years and I have never fallen off of a ladder. Last year, in March I fell off a just a six footer. My leg got caught between the rungs.

I broke my tibia, which required four pins and a plate. Then, six months later, when I was declared "healed" they found out I had a torn ACL as well. But you can't do ACL surgery on my leg until the pins and plate are removed. So this Friday, I am having the ACL surgery and that's another 6 to 9 months recovery. All because I was doing something I knew I shouldn't be doing but I forgot I shouldn't be doing it!

Anyway, my point is, stay safe and no matter how much experience you have, if you use a ladder inappropriately you might beef it and spend 1 1/2 years recovering.

Advertisement

Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,174

Be Careful on Ladders!

I remind myself everyday to be safe on a ladder. Accidents do Not just happen, their is a reason for them. I buy the best ladders I can afford.

Advertisement

mj12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 866

Be Careful on Ladders!

Man, that sucks. I did something similar just recently (early March). Had a ladder kick straight out behind me. Had it set up properly too. 3-4" above roof edge, out the proper distance, etc... Must have missed some ice either on the bottom of the pad on the ladder or on the surface I had it on. I was standing on the rung just below the eave line of the roof it was leaning against. Just as I was stepping off of the rung with my right foot to step onto the roof the ladder 'disappeared" and I went straight down 10' This was the result.

Comminuted fracture of the distal radius. In layman terms, the end of the radius (bone in forearm) near the hand was broken into about 20-25 pieces. Total inventory, 1 pin (since removed), 3 plates and 15 screws to hold it all together. Took the surgeon and the PA that works closely with him 4 hours to get it back together.

Hope you heal up quickly
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
Helmet (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #4

Be Careful on Ladders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
I remind myself everyday to be safe on a ladder. Accidents do Not just happen, their is a reason for them. I buy the best ladders I can afford.
At the company I work for we have an accident investigation policy. A review is done on every reported/reportable incident that happens. We have to go thru a very intense questionnaire that probes the entire accident to determine the root cause. In the 15 years that I have been involved with this project, we have never had an incident that we could not determine a root cause and a reason it could have been prevented or an action that was put in place to prevent it in the future
Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 652

Be Careful on Ladders!

I'm terrified of ladders, which I think makes me doubly careful of them
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,904

Be Careful on Ladders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I'm terrified of ladders
Then you should never be on one imo.

Distractions cause accidents and fear is a distraction.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 652

Be Careful on Ladders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Then you should never be on one imo.
I do my best. Never is a long time.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 46

Be Careful on Ladders!

Ouch! I hope you heal up soon. My surgery is Friday and I'm actually looking forward to getting this taken care of.
Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 AM   #9

Be Careful on Ladders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet View Post
Ouch! I hope you heal up soon. My surgery is Friday and I'm actually looking forward to getting this taken care of.
Thanks, It is coming along. Hopefully by June I can start doing weight bearing exercise. The Surgeon said it will take about 10-12 weeks for this to heal based on the number of breaks. The surgeries may not be over for me as well as the plates may need to come out in the near future. The area that they ar in is susceptible to the cold and the titanium will cause these areas to get colder easier. Would not be too much of a problem but, I spend a lot of time outdoors in the winter as a member of National Ski Patrol. My bigger concern right now is how this is going to affect my golf game. Of course my buddies all said it probably won't make it any worse

Good luck Friday with the surgery...Heal up fast
Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Be Careful on Ladders!

Also had a ladder accident fell in to the concrete 15 feet high. Just a broken knee and 3 ribs. Safety first fellas!

oh'mike (05-22-2015), Windows on Wash (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 32

Be Careful on Ladders!

Over the years I spent countless hours on 6' ladders with very few problems. However, there were a few times I descended and stepped off a 6 footer only to find I was really on an 8 footer!

I must be Irish because the only injury was to my pride.

Advertisement

GrayHair is online now   Reply With Quote