Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,220

Be Careful

My cousin's son, drank a Red Bull and a 5 Hour Energy together yesterday. He's had multiple seizures and they can't get them stopped. I know that some European countries ban those things, but taking them together? Anyway, be careful.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-17-2013), frenchelectrican (05-24-2013), gma2rjc (05-17-2013), joasis (05-22-2013), r0ckstarr (05-18-2013), rossfingal (05-17-2013), ToolSeeker (05-19-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Be Careful

Sorry to hear about your cousin's son.

The FDA has been asked to take a look at how energy drinks are marked (like anybody would read the warnings?) and sold in this country. The usual uproar is ensuing about government intervention where common sense should prevail, but of course does not (especially within the primary age group to which these products are targeted). Obviously and even though we think of them as safe ones, these "energy" drinks contain high levels of powerful stimulants not even dilluted as one would be in a cup of coffee. And the little bottle things are gulped, not sipped over the course of 1/2 hour or whatever. Any energy producing substances in them is mainly from complex carbohydrates like corn syrup.

And they are available to all age groups and therefore humans of all body mass. It does not matter if they taste horrible because they never have to hit your taste buds. There are many who have argued the addictive properties of caffeine. I think it total hogwash so long as I get my two cups first thing in the morning I am just fine. Seriously, the CDC is seeing a pattern of more serious stimulant addiction to things like caffeine (and other stuff in these energy drinks) that has caused them to issue at least cautions about the situation---especially to ER and paramedic personnel.

There was a combination juice flavored malt beverage and high caffeine product that was forced from shelves because of the package resemblance to things like tea drinks in the same size and same look cans. You had to be 21 for them but... Red Bull and vodka seems to be a popular drink among young drinkers. In both cases, nothing like shocking your system with a strong stimulant and a strong depressant at the same time with the brilliant logic that your system will be so thrilled by the former you can drink extra hours or twice as much. Or you can better tolerate club drugs. ER friends see the results of this brilliant thinking.

Last edited by user1007; 05-17-2013 at 03:57 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,068

Be Careful

I'm pretty sure that I will stick with plenty of water, and, just for variety, an occasional Gatorade on long, hot days. Oh yeah, and a gin and tonic on the porch in the evening. I just haven't figured out why all of these young people think that they need energy drinks to keep up with us. :-)
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 508

Be Careful

I know several people who use energy drinks on a regular basis. These same people struggle to get up on time, get tired easily, and generally are no more alert than anyone else. If anything, it seems like most people develop less energy over the long term after regular consumption of these.
sixeightten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 522

Be Careful

It's like any other drug: at first you take it to feel good, but eventually you have to take it to keep from feeling bad.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Be Careful

I should have mentioned that all the questionable ingredients in energy drinks are quite natural. Only in energy drinks do caffeine, glucuronolactone, and taurine appear in the same can though. None were developed by the government to boost morale in Vietnam. Some studies have been done on all individually and results reported accordingly. Studies of all three in combination are fairly new as are the drinks themselves when you think about it. There could be no long term studies yet.

As mentioned, energy drinks do contain large amounts of complex carbs. Ever had a sugar rush that lifted you way up near instantly and then dropped you off a cliff like a rock? With less residual "energy" than you had to start?

It is all the ingredients together that seem to pose a risk, especially if consumed in quantity and too quickly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,170

Be Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Sorry to hear about your cousin's son.

The FDA has been asked to take a look at how energy drinks are marked (like anybody would read the warnings?) and sold in this country. The usual uproar is ensuing about government intervention where common sense should prevail, but of course does not (especially within the primary age group to which these products are targeted). Obviously and even though we think of them as safe ones, these "energy" drinks contain high levels of powerful stimulants not even dilluted as one would be in a cup of coffee. And the little bottle things are gulped, not sipped over the course of 1/2 hour or whatever. Any energy producing substances in them is mainly from complex carbohydrates like corn syrup.

And they are available to all age groups and therefore humans of all body mass. It does not matter if they taste horrible because they never have to hit your taste buds. There are many who have argued the addictive properties of caffeine. I think it total hogwash so long as I get my two cups first thing in the morning I am just fine. Seriously, the CDC is seeing a pattern of more serious stimulant addiction to things like caffeine (and other stuff in these energy drinks) that has caused them to issue at least cautions about the situation---especially to ER and paramedic personnel.

There was a combination juice flavored malt beverage and high caffeine product that was forced from shelves because of the package resemblance to things like tea drinks in the same size and same look cans. You had to be 21 for them but... Red Bull and vodka seems to be a popular drink among young drinkers. In both cases, nothing like shocking your system with a strong stimulant and a strong depressant at the same time with the brilliant logic that your system will be so thrilled by the former you can drink extra hours or twice as much. Or you can better tolerate club drugs. ER friends see the results of this brilliant thinking.

one of my favorites
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 570

Be Careful

drinking an energy drink is similar to the way world governments print money. That "extra " energy boost you get has to be paid back one way or another.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 846

Be Careful

I drank an energy drink once, just to try it. Never again. It made me itch everywhere. It was a horrible feeling.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Be Careful

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Just read an article written by a physiologist regarding these drinks, student athletes, and dehydration. They are banned in many countries. Kids should never be given these drinks. Probably true for adults as well.
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,472

Be Careful

This is the same government that fines me $37,000 for painting a house that have lead paint and makes me go out and buy a $600 heap vac. But they approve and let kids go out and buy this crap with no regulation at all.
Rusty I hope every thing comes out all right buddy keep us posted.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,038

Be Careful

It's easy to knock whatever government we got -
What are we going to put in it's place?!?
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,220

Be Careful

It sounds like he is going to be OK. But has a few more days in the hospital. The doctor told them that they have had people die from heart attacks after drinking those things.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 846

Be Careful

Good to know that he will be ok, and glad to hear that it wasn't worse.
r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,516

Be Careful

i sometimes use the walmart .88$ energy drinks. they work well.

Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote