DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/)
-   -   Capacitors (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/capacitors-78492/)

ReedELC101 08-11-2010 02:52 PM

Capacitors
 
Hi, I just started tech school for electrician and I was wondering exactly what a capacitor is and does. thanks
Kyle Reed

secutanudu 08-11-2010 03:01 PM

I think this link might help you... :)

http://tinyurl.com/2c88xws

Proby 08-11-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReedELC101 (Post 484138)
Hi, I just started tech school for electrician and I was wondering exactly what a capacitor is and does. thanks
Kyle Reed

Where are you located?
What type of school did you join (associated with any program)?
What type of electrician do you want to be?

As for the capacitor, there is nothing I can tell you that would be better than the link above.

static_engineer 08-11-2010 04:33 PM

The short answer is that capacitors are like batteries in that they store a charge.

Depending on the type of capacitor they could be used for varying reasons. Sometimes to store a charge like in a high power car audio application the capacitor will take up the "slack" when the battery can't provide enough power. Some smaller tantalum caps are used on DC power supplies to filter out high frequency noise.

They also act just the opposite as resistors because resistors in series add their value, and subtract total resistance in parallel, Capacitors subtract total capacitance in series and add capacitance in parallel.

First one I can answer!!! Woo Hoo!! An electronics degree pays off! :thumbsup:

static_engineer 08-11-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proby (Post 484154)
Where are you located?
What type of school did you join (associated with any program)?
What type of electrician do you want to be?

As for the capacitor, there is nothing I can tell you that would be better than the link above.


Doh!! I didn't see this or the previous, I just replied to the OP. Sorry.:whistling2:

Yoyizit 08-11-2010 07:36 PM

Extra credit question:
What happens if
you put a perfect short circuit across
an ideal capacitor
that is charged?

Proby 08-11-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyizit (Post 484272)
Extra credit question:
What happens if
you put a perfect short circuit across
an ideal capacitor
that is charged?

The Earth collapses into itself.

kwikfishron 08-11-2010 07:56 PM

My electronics teacher in HS had a some sort of military capacitor the size of a 5 gal. metal gas can.
In class he charged it up and shorted it out with about a 2” thick phone book in between. WOW, a grapefruit size hole in the book and ears were ringing.

Red Squirrel 08-11-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyizit (Post 484272)
Extra credit question:
What happens if
you put a perfect short circuit across
an ideal capacitor
that is charged?

If you use a flux cable, you create a flux capacitor. Only works with 3 way capacitors. These normally only work with extremely high voltages such as lightning. You can also buy Mr. Fusion home energy generators to produce the required power.

Once powered and interfaced with a time circuit, you can travel through time with it.

kwikfishron 08-11-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Squirrel (Post 484293)
If you use a flux cable, you create a flux capacitor. Only works with 3 way capacitors. These normally only work with extremely high voltages such as lightning. You can also buy Mr. Fusion home energy generators to produce the required power.

Once powered and interfaced with a time circuit, you can travel through time with it.

Isnít there a car that runs on that power?

Red Squirrel 08-11-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwikfishron (Post 484309)
Isnít there a car that runs on that power?

Yep, the Delorean. :laughing:

Actually, I badly want one of those cars one day. Would be so fun to drive that around.

Yoyizit 08-12-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proby (Post 484278)
The Earth collapses into itself.

Already tried it in northern NJ. :thumbsup:
It didn't work. :(
But there was a sinkhole in Passaic, I think.

Wishing people dead works slightly better. :laughing:

TJ_in_IL 08-12-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyizit (Post 484621)
Already tried it in northern NJ. :thumbsup:
It didn't work. :(
But there was a sinkhole in Passaic, I think.

Wishing people dead works slightly better. :laughing:

Thought that was more out towards Ringwood or Wayne, where the old Ford Paint landfill was.:whistling2:

SPS-1 08-13-2010 05:09 PM

What happens if you take an old vacuum tube radio, and decide to strip insulation off a wire to tube filter capaciters, with your teeth ?

Answer:
-You really learn about capacitors. ( you also learn how to fly )

Yoyizit 08-13-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ_in_IL (Post 484675)
Thought that was more out towards Ringwood or Wayne, where the old Ford Paint landfill was.:whistling2:

http://www.epa.gov/region2/superfund...ood/index.html
and here I thought that NJ, and its residents, were as pure as New York snow. :laughing::laughing:

The answer, Mr. Reed, is that infinite current flows for zero time and the energy stored in the cap is dissipated in this zero time interval as a burst of radio frequency energy at all frequencies.

BTW, 'infinity' times 'zero' is 'indeterminate'.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.