Can I Remove Rust From This Box?.. - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can I remove rust from this box?..

...that is, without making lots of holes in the box...

My neighbor threw away this old milk box. I have no use for it and so similar ones being sold on eBay, so I want to try my luck too. However, I am not sure anyone will buy this box with so much rust on it. There are no holes in the box, at least not yet. The question is: is there a way of removing the rust from the lid and the walls without completely destroying the box? I don't think a mechanical approach (sanding) will work. Any appropriate chemicals?

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I remove rust from this box?..-milk_box.jpg  

Advertisement

ilyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

How think is the metal? I think sanding could at least help. Don't do too much to it, that looks like a vintage piece. May be able to sell that way.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,182

Nice find! With something like that, I would most likely clean it up a bit, and find a use for it on or near a work bench, or other place in my shop, probably just to store certain items. What a great conversation piece! Regardless though, the farthest that I would go would be to pick a small spot on or near the bottom, and try lightly sanding it with a very fine steel wool, and if I did not see results within 5-10 minutes, I would stop. I would never consider blasting or using chemical on something like that. Keep in mind that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and there are few of those still in pristine condition, so most people would expect some rust, and it is very possible that any failed attempts at restoration would decrease the value in the eyes of a potential buyer. Again though, that would not be a concern, in my opinion, because I would not let go of it.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Regardless though, the farthest that I would go would be to pick a small spot on or near the bottom, and try lightly sanding it with a very fine steel wool, and if I did not see results within 5-10 minutes, I would stop.
I don't have any steel wool but I do have sandpaper of various grits from 60 to 400 and maybe even 600. What grit should I use?

I brought home another vintage piece of "furniture": a 1951 GE television. It sits proudly in my living room next to the TV we watch. Unfortunately, the only type of conversation it had generated so far was my wife asking me when I am going to throw that old junk away.
ilyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

If you are selling it, try as is. Most antiques are more valuable if left alone. You may ruin all value by removing the patina.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (06-13-2011)