Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

A/C Supply line??

I am curious if anyone can give me a rough guesstimate of the cost to install the line from the compressor to the coil.

Reason I ask is that I am in process of finishing out my basement, but not yet ready to install a 2nd floor furnace and a/c, yet at some point I'd like to be able to do it and not have to tear the house apart to run the line(s). I have a good friend that is a contractor and he'll likely help me out when it comes time to install the units, but he suggested having someone run the lines. With that, I figure I'd try to get an idea of costs, etc.

What I'm hoping to find is someone that does this for a living that is maybe looking for some extra cash on the side, because being a partial/small job, I'm sure it'll be hard to get anyone to come do it. Just kind of curious what some of you might charge to do a job like this, so I can get an idea.

So with that said, any feedback on what I'm likely to be looking at cost wise. My best guess is about 25' across basement ceiling, then up 15' through a closet, then over about 5-10' to where the coil will eventually sit in an attic space off the 2nd floor.

Thanks for any input on this....

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

A/C Supply line??

What size system will be attached to the line set? That will determnine your piping size and have an impact on your cost. A 50' 7/8x3/8 lineset costs about $140 in my neck of the woods.

brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 264

A/C Supply line??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmcginnis View Post
What size system will be attached to the line set? That will determnine your piping size and have an impact on your cost. A 50' 7/8x3/8 lineset costs about $140 in my neck of the woods.
Based upon what I understand, it'll be about a 2ton unit. I have right at 600sqft of living space right now, but plan to finish out part of an attic, which will be turned into conditioned storage/closet space and where the unit will be placed. That will up me to around 800sqft total floor space. I had a few people come out to give quotes, none ever actually gave me any, but I recall them talking about 2ton units as well. What I don't know is if it actually needs to be a little larger since this is on a 2nd floor and thus the cool air will surely somewhat drift down the stairwell....

I'm also guessing the $140 is the cost of the line, not the install. Is it hard to run myself or better to pay a professional? I know I don't want to kink it and thus I'm thinking might be better to have someone experience run it. I'll likely pay one of my friends subs to do the connections and charge the system.

Again, I could be wrong, but is it correct that generally for 25' or less and a 2ton unit, i'd probably use 3/4" line. I'm guessing going almost 50' would be cause for a larger line. There is a chance, I could install the unit closer and place it on the side of the house, but I prefer to go further and have it in the back yard, where it's safer from thiefs and out of the way.....
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

A/C Supply line??

My 2 ton uses 7/8 and 3/8 but not all are the same. Not hard to run the lines if you have plenty of room to make nice smooth bends. If it's going to require braizing 90's in tight quarters pay a pro unless you have really good insurance.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

A/C Supply line??

You will be fine with a 3/4x3/8 lineset for a 2 ton system, even at 50 ft total length. Running a 50 foot lineset is a real PITA for one man, but if you get a buddy to help you'll be fine.
brandonmcginnis is offline   Reply With Quote