Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Buying a School

hey guys, im new to this so hello there! my name is luke and i am in the market for a new house. i recently have been told about a school that is going up for sale in the next month. it is an old grade school. classrooms, cafeteria and gym. the whole nine yards. i really like the idea of turning this school into my house. i was told i could probably get it for a decent price but i have no idea on taxes and utility costs. i will find these things out later on. but if everything checks out should i go for it? what things should i take into consideration? i can only picture the greatest house on earth so i need you guys to either help me continue pictureing the greatest house by giving my idea for layout and such but also i need those to bring me back to reality. any help would be appreciated. in other words.. i kinda just want to know what you guys think about me buying a school to live in and if it's worth it or not.

luke_501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Buying a School

That would be kind of neat, provided you have lot of money and time for repairs/customizations and what not. It would actually be a very fun undertaking, but the reality of things is you have to work to make money so that leaves very little time for play.

One option is to maybe convert it into some apartments, so you could actually make money off it, perhaps even live off said money, giving you more time to work on it. The thought of having a gym, and cafeteria, is kinda cool. You could even have gym equipment like basketballs and what not, and rent it out.

If they are selling it and it's not expensive, chances are it's a very old building though, so you'll want to take that into account. Possible structural issues, most likely asbestos, maybe even mold, old leaky pipes, and other issues.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 614

Buying a School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
One option is to maybe convert it into some apartments, so you could actually make money off it, perhaps even live off said money, giving you more time to work on it. The thought of having a gym, and cafeteria, is kinda cool. You could even have gym equipment like basketballs and what not, and rent it out.
Be aware that right now the land is zoned as a school, and the building has a school occupancy. If the type of occupancy changes, many code issues can be triggered. If the building is converted to a SFR, you can probably skate.

If on the other hand the building is converted into an apartment, a whole bunch of fire and building codes could come into play. Fire sprinklers may be needed. Many older schools had a number of stairs between floors, with minimal fire separation between floors. This may need to change. All of this is dependant on the local jurisdictions, ass well as the individual building
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Buying a School

Yeah for sure, lot of stuff to consider, and lot of it is probably very specific to the city.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Buying a School

the building was actually built in the 80's out of brick. i have heard it is very structurally sound. the reason they are selling it is because they are moving all local public school in the county to one school. and moving 7th and 8th graders to high school. as far as the city goes, i know the mayor quite well so maybe i could get some strings pulled if i go the route of appartments. to be honest with ya, i was thinking turn half of it into garage and the other into just a huge house. i have a couple buddies that are interesting in movin in and paying rent. so i could use that little bit of rent to help keep projects moving. i have a 7-5 job mon thru friday so i will have plenty of income the hardest part will be finding time.
luke_501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 614

Buying a School

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_501 View Post
i know the mayor quite well so maybe i could get some strings pulled if i go the route of appartments
Don't bet on it. Most building departments are protected by civil service rules, and take their jobs seriously. Any undue pressure from a impotent and self important politcal hack normally does nothing but cause problems.

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote