Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Building an aquarium

I would like to build an aquarium, does anyone know how to make an 5 or 6 sided aquarium? Holding and bonding of the joints is the real issue.

Also, I need to be able to make a plexiglass-plexiglass joint. I think there is some sort of "plexiglass welding cement available". Does anyone know how to find it?

dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Building an aquarium

I don't think you want to use plexiglass for an aquarium. It will scratch pretty quickly and will probably fog/haze over time due to chemicals and abrasion.

For anything larger than 30 gallons I believe you'll want to use 1/4" plate glass. The issue is building a frame that holds the glass at the top of the bottom, tight an in the proper location. The seams between the glass pieces are sealed with silicone, but that's not really providing much structural strength.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (04-11-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

Building an aquarium

Lots of aquariums are acrylic. It's lighter and you dont have have the silicone, but it's also more likely to scratch.

There's a lot of info about building aquariums out there. I would recommend google: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=build+aquarium
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building an aquarium

I think you are going to find buying one, unless you need a custom size or shape, is going to be a better deal. Obviously the satisfaction of building your own anything can be worth the difference.

Check the library for books on aquarium construction. Decide ahead of time what kind of fish and environment you wish to achieve so you can plan for filtration, etc.

Give some thought to what kind of stand you want and whether you need to add floor support.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
the Musigician

Building an aquarium

The Psychedelic Fishtank!

DM
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Building an aquarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Your fish must have went to art school. Looks good. Did you install the glass in the frame and then apply the silicone?
dstorjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Building an aquarium

I've been involved with aquariums for many years. I agree with Total Tool. You do not want to use plexi glass. You want to use acrylic and appropriate bonding techniques/solvents. You might just want to fork over the money to get a tank made for you. An aquarium blowing out seams is quite a costly mess.

***link removed***
GomerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
the Musigician

Building an aquarium

Look at the second picture. It's just masking taped together in that pic, then siliconed inside. THEN I added the cherry frame with MORE silicone outside. The corners being 'wrapped' and glued gives it much more strength.
BTW.... I still have it. NO problems with it.

Be sure to get 100% "aquarium grade" silicone!!!

DM
Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
the Musigician

Building an aquarium

Gomer: Whether you say you're affiliated or not, we prefer 1st time posters do not link to websites. If/after you are an established, trusted member here, we do not mind, but posts like yours happen all too frequently and are considered spam by both members and moderators.

Thanks for sharing!

DM
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Building an aquarium

ok thanks for the tip I just came across this forum while trying to learn about new roofs (I need one soon) and then found this thread.

Last edited by GomerG; 04-11-2012 at 12:30 PM.
GomerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
the Musigician

Building an aquarium

Anti-spam forum software prohibits PMs until you have reached 20 posts.
That's also usually about the time we do not mind links that are helpful and pertinent to our member's questions IF your posts have been helpful, not just "this is interesting" or "I like this thread". No offense, but we deal with spammer's tricks daily here and have pretty much seen them all.
Good luck with your roofing questions, we have a great bunch of roofers here willing to assist you.

DM