Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

brand new concrete road all broke up

Goes to show you concrete does break and crack. They have been constructing a new four lane past my property for last 5 years. North side east west lanes has "never" been driven on yet with highway traffic. the portion i saw today was poured last summer. It is now paint marked up consistant almost,,, in main outside lane for replacement of those painted sections. Nothing like a patched up road from the get go. I heard it extends that way for 10 miles or more..

It will be another year or two before that is all cut out and patched back in. and a patched up road gets very rough at an early age.

It already looks like its 20 years old with all the extra random cracks all tarred up. the south lanes look fine so the base was about the same. Any thoughts on why such a train wreck on such a brand new road?(other than taxpayers always get screwed)

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

This will be a compelling thread with some pics and location.

Water Guy (04-08-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

Sounds like someone cheaped out on the concrete, and didn't use the right mix. Or maybe it was poured during improper temps, or wasn't allowed to set properly before a freeze.
Other causes could be improper base prep. Maybe there is ground water in the area; but then, I would expect it on both sides, not just the one.

If I were the boss on this project, I would demand a complete replacement of the affected roadway.

Sherpa
Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote