Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |

Birthday Help

So, my wife is turning 50 soon and I need some fun gift ideas playing on the 50 theme.

My list so far:

50 minute massage gift certificate
50 yellow pom-poms from the florist (she hates roses...)
50 $ of lottery tickets
50 ml bottle of Jack Daniels
50 thousand miles from my United account to go away for a weekend

Any other thoughts?

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Birthday Help

My husband got me knee pads for my birthday. I teased him for weeks about how bad that sounded when I told my friends.

What's your price range and what's she into?

MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #3

Birthday Help

MissKat: I bought my then-fiance her own pry bar about 20 years ago when I was taking cedar shake off my house in order to do new windows and vinyl siding. That got a lot of use on that project and others since. Knee pads would have gotten a much different reaction...

Price wise... 3 figures is OK, but for the mid to high end of that it needs to be pretty interesting!

She's not into much for herself. Pretty much devoted to our three teen age boys, but I don't think she wants a soccer ball, lacrosse stick or playstation of her own.

Thanks for thinking with me!
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Birthday Help

50 ways to leave your lover. With a scratch in the CD or I can audit an MP3 for you so she will never hear all 50 again.

Does she actually drink Jack Daniels? Otherwise soak the label off a decent bottle of champagne and re-label it.

Chocolates, not 40 in a box, still work. Five for each of ten years, handmade will work.

Most of the women in my past could be had smiling and happy with at least $50 bucks worth of really nice sushi or sashimi.

Most did not like roses either and especially if they were red ones. Red ones made them call me names.

Not one did not like simple daisies though. Find a bouquet from a real florist, not some FTD balloon in coffee mug hacks. Pick all but 49 petals off one flower that had 50 or so (she will not know). The card must read, 49 times:

"He loves me, he loves me not!"

And than you pick the lasting petal and hand it to her. If you love her? Tell her so and wish her a very Happy Birthday. And whisper in her ear, if others are around.

"Thank you so much for what you have meant to my life!"

If you do not like her all that much, take the 50 ml Jack Daniels and get out of Dodge.

Fraulines do not wear stockings anymore or I would have you pick up a pair, just in case needed.

Do your United bonus miles actually work? I will trade you 400,000 Eastern and a few Trump shuttled airline miles and take your wife 50 places if you do not want to. I gave all my American Airlines miles to their Miles for Kids program. I have not looked at my Delta bonus mile account in ages. I have millions of PanAm bonus miles if she wants to go with me anywhere they fly.

Last edited by user1007; 08-03-2013 at 11:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #5

Birthday Help

As a stay-at-the-ice-rink hockey mom, I would give my big toes for a weekend in a hotel room with no demands on my time.

I hired a tutu clad gorilla to deliver 40 balloons to my sister on her 40th. That went over amazingly. People are still talking about it. The balloons filled her living room and her kids had a ball with the whole thing. It cost me about $200.

I'll keep thinking.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissKat For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (08-04-2013), user1007 (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Birthday Help

I'll second MissKat's idea of a weekend in a hotel room with no demands on her time.

cgoll, she devotes most of her time to the 3 boys? How about having a day when the 3 boys and you devote all of your and their time to her? The 5 of you spend the day at home with the guys waiting on her, cooking a meal for her, going to a movie or the beach together or anything else your family enjoys.

A camping weekend, with you and the boys doing most of the work could be neat if she likes camping. With the boys all being teenagers, it won't be long 'til they'll be off on their own and getting just the 5 of you together will be impossible.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote