Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bid Process

I understand bidding specifics are a no-no. However it seems I'm not understanding the actual process of getting a re-roof bid on our house. Both contractors that have shown up so far have just given us a total cost number. Not a piece of paper with the materials to be used spelled out. Is this Normal?
I expected and asked for a bid that spelled out types of materials, general description of work to be addressed....ect.
By reading the CT forum, and DYI I'm understanding the importance of types of materials required for the job, and ballpark pricing. Also how to properly remediate our gable venting.

A seperate question I had was, in replacing the facia on the original portion of the house (we are re-staining the old cedar) will we need to replace the rotten facia with cedar or just pine? It will be capped when the new roof goes on.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Reasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Bid Process

Sorry I put this in the wrong forum!
Thank You.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bid Process

you are getting, at best, an estimate.

If you want a bid (and you may have to pay for an actual bid), you need to spec the materials and work performed or through consultation with the contractor, decide on what you want to be done with your roof.

an estimate is just that; an estimate

a bid is a formal proposal to do listed work using listed materials. A bid can be the basis for a binding contract. An estimate is not a fixed number in reality.

the definition of an estimate:

Quote:
c : to produce a statement of the approximate cost of
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #4

Bid Process

Thanks for the clarification. I did ask one contractor to write up a bid, was told no problem. When I asked for his state licensing number thats when things derailed. Altho his "estimate" was appropriate no contract would have recognized as legal.
We are trying to be as informed as possible to eliminate problems down the road. Plus addressing the actual problems with the roof in the original older portion of the house.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Bid Process

if your area is anything like around here a lot of guys have let their insurance and license lapse. at the peak of the housing boom our state had 40,000 licensed contractors. we now have 8,000. there are a LOT of guys doing unlicensed work. not saying it's good or bad, just how it is. i will say that all the unlicensed workers i have hired were all people i knew of or carried great references. if you do wind up going this route check them out in the same way you would hire an employee. call their previous employers. more than 5 job referrals. any idiot will have a couple referrals but a good worker will have a list.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,270

Bid Process

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
if your area is anything like around here a lot of guys have let their insurance and license lapse. at the peak of the housing boom our state had 40,000 licensed contractors. we now have 8,000. there are a LOT of guys doing unlicensed work. not saying it's good or bad, just how it is. i will say that all the unlicensed workers i have hired were all people i knew of or carried great references. if you do wind up going this route check them out in the same way you would hire an employee. call their previous employers. more than 5 job referrals. any idiot will have a couple referrals but a good worker will have a list.
40,000 down to 8,000, where did you get that from?