Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Plastic?

I'am looking for a little advice from someone. I am making a game pad and don't know what to use for it. I need somekind of plastic that won't break after being stomped on over and and over again. I looked around a little on the internet but nothing turned up that left me with a solid conclusion. I don't know if you have ever heard of this game called DDR ( the one thats in the arcades that people dance on ) The pads alone cost hundreds of dollars and even more than that for the good ones. the cheap ones always break after a week or so. to sum this all up I was wondering what kind of plastic or other material to use that will last the longest and can take the most abuse.

Also, I was wondering how I would go about making a bar across the back of the pad to lean on during the gameplay. It needs to support a person and not move the pad it self.
Thanks for any help you give me XD

GirlDoesItAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Best Plastic?

I'm not at all familiar with DDR, but my first thought was a heavy weight fabric may be easier to work with and not so slippery.

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Best Plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDoesItAll View Post
I'am looking for a little advice from someone. I am making a game pad and don't know what to use for it. I need somekind of plastic that won't break after being stomped on over and and over again. I looked around a little on the internet but nothing turned up that left me with a solid conclusion. I don't know if you have ever heard of this game called DDR ( the one thats in the arcades that people dance on ) The pads alone cost hundreds of dollars and even more than that for the good ones. the cheap ones always break after a week or so. to sum this all up I was wondering what kind of plastic or other material to use that will last the longest and can take the most abuse.

Also, I was wondering how I would go about making a bar across the back of the pad to lean on during the gameplay. It needs to support a person and not move the pad it self.
Thanks for any help you give me XD
I've seen the game, but not played it. As far as building the control itself, you won't find better advice than what you can find on arcadecontrols.com -- that's a website devoted entirely to building arcade controls to interface to PCs. I'm sure there are plenty of people there who have built exactly what you want.

Regarding the bar. I'd make it from black iron pipe (in the plumbing section) and use elbows at the bottom. So you have the bar at the back. It goes down. At the bottom it goes forward (and is attached to the part you step on). Iron pipe is really strong and it will definitely work for resting against. make the platform extends six inches or more behind the bar to keep it from tipping back.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote