Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Newbie
 
flowerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28
Share |
Smile

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Who do you think has the best price/service for cable TV, internet and phone services combined going nowadays? I'm so inundated with promotions, flyers, and offers, but when it comes right down to it, it seems like they advertise one thing, then you order and they tell you one thing, then charge you a different pricing plan on your bill.

I just ordered cable TV with a local cable company in So. California and thought I was to be paying about $129/month and opened their bill to see a charge of over $200. Nothing about their bill reflects anything about my pricing plan, and I'm fit to be tied. I have nothing but standard service plus HBO and Showtime, and no DVR, no extra set top box, nothing fancy.

Add to this their internet service is incredibly slow and they run some kind of local dreck on CNN Headline news during the commercial break instead of picking up the entire CNN Headline News feed and it's driving me crazy -- I'm already wearing out the mute button on the new remote. I'm ready to drop them now just after 10 days of installation -- what a hassle and nightmare this has been -- such a poor choice Charter Cable has been.

Any suggestions?

FlowerChick

flowerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,360
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchick View Post
....Any suggestions?

FlowerChick
FlowerChick,

Pay a visit to the Consumerist web site.

__________________
-KB

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!

Last edited by kbsparky; 10-30-2011 at 11:32 AM.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
flowerchick (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S.W. Indiana
Posts: 263
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


I have WOW. DVR, around 80 channels basic cable, unlimited phone service and 11 meg internet. $115/month total. Every year, they increase the price $15. I call up and ***** and they give me a $15 discount.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Newbie
 
flowerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28
Smile

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


What's "WOW ?". Is that something available locally in your area? I'm in So. California and have never heard of this and I consider myself fairly tech savvy.... I watch a lot of cable news and have never seen a TV ad. Please do tell more, many thanks.

FlowerChick
flowerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,118
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


We have a digital antenna on our TV, and we subscribe to Netflix. We pay $7.99 per month to watch TV and movies.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


I have Netflix streaming as well. One thing, no new movies..?

I watched The Crazies last night.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S.W. Indiana
Posts: 263
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchick View Post
What's "WOW ?". Is that something available locally in your area? I'm in So. California and have never heard of this and I consider myself fairly tech savvy.... I watch a lot of cable news and have never seen a TV ad. Please do tell more, many thanks.

FlowerChick
Wide Open West. Maybe Google it ? Its been in the midwest for years. Didnt know it is not available in Cali.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Member
 
amyevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 83
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Wow, television packages cost a lot in America!

The biggest TV packages you can get here (UK) which include every single TV channel and your phone and broadband are about 60 (about $93)....
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,118
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
Wow, television packages cost a lot in America!

The biggest TV packages you can get here (UK) which include every single TV channel and your phone and broadband are about 60 (about $93)....
Yeah, but you pay more than double what we do for gasoline, so we're going to call it a wash!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Member
 
amyevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 83
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Yeah, but you pay more than double what we do for gasoline, so we're going to call it a wash!
Fair point

But I don't drive; do watch TV though!
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
A Little Of Everything
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 2,118
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
Fair point

But I don't drive; do watch TV though!
Gahhhh! Fine, you win.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Newbie
 
flowerchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 28
Cool

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


I've got Netflix too -- it's wonderful! I dropped Hulu since I'm not much of a network TV viewer.

I checked out WOW after finding it through a Google search -- it seems it's a midwest only service provider.

The Consumerist website looks cool -- definitely worth checking out!

Time Warner Cable is awful -- this much I know -- Ive had the displeasure of their services in a few Southern California locations where I've lived in the last decade, and I'm sure many other smaller cable companies follow in their footsteps...

In my opinion two of America's biggest rip-offs are cable TV and public storage! Now that we have the internet to enjoy, I think our TV viewing options will be rapidly changing soon enough and we can pick and choose what we really want to enjoy... All I'm really interested in watching are networks like CNN, HBO, Showtime, public television and a few other favorites, and that's it... the other 1000+ channels of nothingness are really time wasters in my opinion and pure dreck. I've begun to read more anyhow and with services like Netflix and Hulu, companies like Time Warner Cable will have to lower pricing to remain competetive.
flowerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
Member
 
amyevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 83
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchick View Post
I've got Netflix too -- it's wonderful! I dropped Hulu since I'm not much of a network TV viewer.

I checked out WOW after finding it through a Google search -- it seems it's a midwest only service provider.

The Consumerist website looks cool -- definitely worth checking out!

Time Warner Cable is awful -- this much I know -- Ive had the displeasure of their services in a few Southern California locations where I've lived in the last decade, and I'm sure many other smaller cable companies follow in their footsteps...

In my opinion two of America's biggest rip-offs are cable TV and public storage! Now that we have the internet to enjoy, I think our TV viewing options will be rapidly changing soon enough and we can pick and choose what we really want to enjoy... All I'm really interested in watching are networks like CNN, HBO, Showtime, public television and a few other favorites, and that's it... the other 1000+ channels of nothingness are really time wasters in my opinion and pure dreck. I've begun to read more anyhow and with services like Netflix and Hulu, companies like Time Warner Cable will have to lower pricing to remain competetive.
Really hoping Netflix will arrive over here soon. Reports are saying it will be launched early 2012.

How good is it really? I mean, how often do you look for something to find it's not on there?
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
I'm Your Huckleberry
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,540
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by amyevans View Post
Really hoping Netflix will arrive over here soon. Reports are saying it will be launched early 2012.

How good is it really? I mean, how often do you look for something to find it's not on there?
If you don't mind my opinion I'll say that it does have a lot of movies but old ones, no new releases whatsoever so very often I hunt only to be met by bitter, bitter disappointment. They don't even have movies that are out on disc as of two years ago such as any of the X-Men movies. Now I just go to Redbox and for a dollar get new releases. It's much better IMO.

The $7.99 a month for streaming video to my computer (which I plug into my big screen and watch it there) for Netflix is almost not worth it for myself.

Btw, over here in the states it's one or the other for $7.99, streaming OR disc through the mail. If you want both it's $15.99 per month.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,747
Default

Best Choice for Cable TV Services Nowadays? -- What Do You Think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
If you don't mind my opinion I'll say that it does have a lot of movies but old ones, no new releases whatsoever so very often I hunt only to be met by bitter, bitter disappointment. They don't even have movies that are out on disc as of two years ago such as any of the X-Men movies. Now I just go to Redbox and for a dollar get new releases. It's much better IMO.

The $7.99 a month for streaming video to my computer (which I plug into my big screen and watch it there) for Netflix is almost not worth it for myself.

Btw, over here in the states it's one or the other for $7.99, streaming OR disc through the mail. If you want both it's $15.99 per month.
I dropped it for the same reason. Only old movies. I had already seen any of them that I wanted to see.

__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cable tv, direct tv, dish, fios, flowerchick


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Fabrication Services - CNC Waterjet Cutting Services jddurgin Introductions 1 05-27-2011 08:55 PM
Window Caulking services sbmfj General DIY Discussions 3 02-12-2011 10:02 AM
Two services in one building legal? summitchief Electrical 14 10-12-2009 07:26 PM
Converting duplex to single family--what to do with electric services? zamoti Electrical 32 01-29-2009 03:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.