Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

ballpark figure for replacing knob and tube wiring

Hello all!

Newbie here just registered a few minutes ago, whoo hoo!

My wife and I are preparing to buy our first home (built around 1900) which happens to be a 3 story,four unit, in which we live in one. Our inspection was today and we found out their is some live knob and tube running through the house. The electric is currently 30amp fuse box. My question is, what would you guys think a ball park figure would be to upgrade to a 100amp fuse box and replacing the old knob and tube?

Thanks everyone,
Mike & Candace

GroverBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Union Electrician

Is this a condo or a rental property in which you live? If it's a condo, I'll bet you could convince the board to have a special assessment to pay for the entire properties service upgrade. Even if it is a multi unit rental, you may have to upgrade the entire service if you want 100 amps. I should stress MAY.

As for cost, it varies greatly by location and scope of work.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #3

Hey Goose, thanks for the reply. No it is not a condo so no board to convince unfortunately. Fyi for anyone else, the property is about 2,400 sq. ft.
GroverBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Master Electrician

$8,000-#15,000.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Why aren't the sellers footing the cost to replace? Our seller agreed to pay cost to upgrade the fuse panel to a breaker panel before we signed the papers.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

I do a lot of these old houses 1-3 full rewires and 3-5 partial rewires a year and I can tell you that for budgeting purposes I figure between $12 and $16 per square foot for knob and tube rewire depending on the level of foreseeable difficulty. Houses that have conduit systems are between $6 and $10 per square foot for budgeting! Included in the budget is the main electrical service and panel/s, all new wiring and new standard devices, also includes adding new outlets to meet current codes in kitchens, baths and throughout house and installation of smoke detectors. It does not include fixtures!

AFCI's are now required for almost everything so that will add a couple hundred bucks to each unit.

I am in Miami and most of these homes are in Coral Gables and I have heard that Miami wages and costs for materials is higher than a lot of other states so ask a contractor local to you.

I don't give firm prices to do this type of work and have worked the square foot budget from the many I have completed. The jobs are done on a time and material basis and I am usually pretty close with my budgets.

Being multi story makes it more difficult than single story and being multi unit means (4) services and (4) panels so I would probably calculate the units separately and use the higher price to get you a budget