Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #1

Share |

Bad Experience---What would you do?

I went to a local Mexican food place (Well known chain network), as I have many times, and placed an order at drive up. The bill was like, $7.39 and the smallest bill I had was $20.00
The person gave me change for $10.00
When I brought it to her attention that I gave her a 20 dollar bill, she supposibly checked and said I was wrong I WAS NOT WRONG!!!!
I drove off and I have not returned---Not too many years ago, the customer was always right in most circumstances. This is certinally not true today
This is not a lot of money but it is the Principle of the matter!
Should I just forget it and go back?
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #2

Did you talk to the owner of this fine establishment, or just an emplyee?
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt Ferguson View Post
Did you talk to the owner of this fine establishment, or just an emplyee?
The checkout girl introduced me to the manager and he verified contents in register. Took about 3 minutes
Looking back, I wish I had just give the order back to them ( or throwed it to them) and drove off. That would have made a strong statement without speaking a word
Old 08-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
DIY Hack

is there any chance that you were actually mistken? i have had similar experiences, and when i had time to think about remebered later that I stopped for gas or whatever, and broke the bill I swore i had.

If they counted the register and it was correct, either one of two things happened. Either you made the mistake, or the cashier had already pocketed a $10, and was waiting for someone to short change in order to make the till come out right. Either way it's your word against hers, and with the till checking out there is really nothing you can do. If you REALLY are sure, go back at a time when it shouldn't be too busy, and ask the manager to check the video. Most of these places, especially the big national chains, have cameras inside and out, especially pointing at the register, so they can gather evidence in the event that an employee or customer is ripping them off. Don't wait too long. A lot of times they reuse the tape or hard drive if there was no major event that they need to look back on

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
the Musigician

I have a foolproof method I use to prevent this from happening, when they say "that'll be $7.39", I reply "from $20" to verify the bill being used. They look at the bill every time to check for themselves, and THEY know that I know what I handed them.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #6

is there any chance that you were actually mistken?

When You have TWO twenty dollar bills in your hand, and no more bills, You can be reasonably sure you have at least TWO
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

I'm with Mr Chips on this one. Maybe they have it on video, however sometimes these places have less than the last 24 hours on tape. It may not seem like a lot of money, but if they/she ripped you off, they're doing it to other people as well. And why should someone get to rip off your hard-earner money?
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
is there any chance that you were actually mistken?

When You have TWO twenty dollar bills in your hand, and no more bills, You can be reasonably sure you have at least TWO
I hear what you're saying, and the only reason I question it is because I have done it myself, several times. I SWORE i was ripped off, just like you described, only later to realize that I couldn't have had the bills I WAS POSITIVE i had, because I stopped for gas, paid a toll, or someother minor purchase that simply wasn't memorable at the time.

When I was a kid I worked summers in my local hardware store, and we were all trained to NEVER put the bills away until the customer put his change away, to easily avoid this type of situation. So if you handed me a $20, I would lay it right on top of the drawer, and give you your change, that way, if you thought you got the wrong change, the actual bill you gave me was still out, and we could easily detirmine who made the mistake. Many times this practice is still used, but more often than not they put the bill you gave them in the slot, before even issuing change, something I'll never understand... Go back, talk to the manager. If nothing else, if it happens to someone else, he will remember and can get rid of the employee or at least get them off the register. It's in his best interest to get to the bottom of this, but if it's just you saying you gave a $20, and a trusted employee saying it was a $10, and the register checks out, I can't say I blame him for doubting you.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #9

Ditto. If they get similar complaints about her, probably 3 is enough, that girl is out of there regardless of what really happened.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #10

Did you contact the Chain headquarters ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote