Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Attention gun owners

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/blairholt.asp

I just received this---I hope it isn't true but looks like we can expect it

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Attention gun owners

ALL ACTIONS:
1/6/2009:
Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
2/9/2009:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

doesn't look like it is going anywhere

Oh, and to support the fact it is going nowhere, there was a 2007 version of this bill that obviously went nowhere.

In addition, there is the sponsor of the bill and only 1 co-sponsor (signed on June of this year) few or no sponsors is generally indicative of the poor acceptance of the bill by other members of congress.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...1:HR00045:@@@P

Last edited by nap; 10-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Giles (10-15-2010)
Old 10-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #3

Attention gun owners

I hope you are right At least you make me feel a little better
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Attention gun owners

I would love to see how they would deal with Montana's (I think) new law.

Quote:
AN ACT EXEMPTING FROM FEDERAL REGULATION UNDER THE COMMERCE CLAUSE OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES A FIREARM, A FIREARM ACCESSORY, OR AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED AND RETAINED IN MONTANA; AND PROVIDING AN APPLICABILITY DATE.
that means, a gun made and sold inMontana would be exempt from the fed regs. You walk into the store, lay down your money, walk out with a handgun.

Sounds like they intentionally want to piss off the fed.

Quote:
HOUSE BILL 246, the Montana-made gun bill, cleared the Legislature easily before reaching the governor’s desk. Its supporters next plan to find a “squeaky clean” Montanan who wants to send a note to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives threatening to build and sell about 20 rifles though federal dealership licensing. If the ATF says it’s illegal, the gun bill’s backers plan to file a lawsuit in federal court with the goal of launching a legal showdown that lands in the U.S. Supreme Court. The Montana Shooting Sports Association, which drafted the bill, has said it will raise the money to pay for any legal costs. “It doesn’t cost us any money and I like guns,” Schweitzer said after signing the bill. “I like big guns, I like little guns, I like pistols, I like rifles, and I would like to buy a gun that’s made in Montana,” Schweitzer said.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #5

Attention gun owners

what i hate seeing is bills like this come up. i've thought for quite awhile it would be really easy for someone to use the logic

1. felons can't own guns, so......
2. how about misdemeanors can't own guns ?
3. no one that hasn't went through a state approved program can own guns
4. only those who have had the program and renew a license can own guns
5. guns are illegal inside city limits without .....fill in the blank

it's not hard for me to imagine people dreaming up stepping stones and before you know it the constitution is handicapped
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Attention gun owners

I think I'll take an early retirement and move to Montana.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

Attention gun owners

If Montana is successful, I would think there would be many more following.
I say it is good for the economy. Maybe Glock will move a plant to Minnesota!
Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Attention gun owners

Quote:
it's not hard for me to imagine people dreaming up stepping stones and before you know it the constitution is handicapped
Imagine it,... It sounds like US history, since the early 60s.... 'ell it's still goin' on..

Amazing is the recent court victories during the most Progressive administration ever...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Enough is Enough

Attention gun owners

Our rights and freedoms were history, as soon as the Patriot Act was signed.

It's online, everyone should read it.

Here's a good example of Sneak and Peek:

Authority to Conduct Secret Searches ("Sneak and Peek")

Section 213 eliminates the prior requirement that law enforcement provide a person subject to a search warrant with contemporaneous notice of the search. The new "secret search" provision applies where the court "finds reasonable cause to believe that providing immediate notification of the execution of the warrant may have an adverse effect." Although the Administration's "Field Guidance on New Authorities Enacted in the 2001 Anti-Terrorism Legislation" states that the new authority "is primarily designed to authorize delayed notice of searches," the amendment permits seizure of any tangible property or communications where the court finds "reasonable necessity" for this seizure. The law requires that notice be given within a "reasonable period," which can be extended by the court for "good cause." "Reasonable period" is undefined, and the Administration's Field Guidance advises that this is a "flexible standard."
This significant change in the law applies to all government searches for material that "constitutes evidence of a criminal offense in violation of the laws of the United States" and is not limited to investigations of terrorist activity. Prior law authorized delayed notification of a search only under a very small number of circumstances (such as surreptitious electronic surveillance). The expansion of this extraordinary authority to all searches constitutes a radical departure from Fourth Amendment standards and could result in routine surreptitious entries by law enforcement agents.

Last edited by H. A. S.; 11-03-2010 at 07:36 AM.
H. A. S. is offline   Reply With Quote