Asking Too Much? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

asking too much?

Having a new roof put on and the contractor is about half done when I noticed a couple issues. First is there's nail heads showing here and there. Lead man said it's just cosmetic but he will tar and granule to cover up or replace shingles. I don't want to be taken advantage of nor do I want to be a pain in the butt so which is a proper fix? Spent the extra money for gaf/elk timberline shingles for cosmetic reasons so how it looks in the end is important.

Second issue is missing granules. Only a few shingles but it looks like the granules didn't stick on 1" round to 3"x3" sections . Can't see these from the ground so the question is will that effect the life of the shingle or not? If so do the tar and granule fix or replace?

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

asking too much?

Moved to Off topic since not a DIY issue

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

asking too much?

Nails shouldn't show. Either those nails are not in the proper position on the shingle or there's too much reveal in the next row.
I'll leave it to the roofing contractors for opinions on the tar and granule fix, but in the limited roofing I do when I come across a badly scuffed shingle I toss it aside and use a good one.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

asking too much?

If your not happy with certain issues of the job.Or you see things that concern you.It is you right as a homeowner to be concerned.The only areas on a home where face nails are found is on the last cap of the ridge.Some times the easiest fix is to pull out the low nailed shingles and replace those,same goes with the scuffed of Manufactored defect.On a side note nail heads showing below the shingles is not cosmetic.To me it's an eyesore.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,068

asking too much?

As R. Smith said, but more than an eyesore--- you may lose the manufacturer's warranty.

Be safe, Gary
Old 06-12-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

asking too much?

Thanks guys. They replaced the scuffed ones and the ones with nails too low. Looks perfect now.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote