Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

anyone have any knowledge of antique lamps?

I pulled this lamp out of my neighbors ~800 got junk ~truck last weekend. It is a stiffel floor lamp. I have been all over the internet trying to find out anything about it, but I just cant seem to locate any info. Any help is appreciated !
Attached Thumbnails
anyone have any knowledge of antique lamps?-diy-lamp.jpg   anyone have any knowledge of antique lamps?-diy-lamp2.jpg  

Last edited by kwikfishron; 10-25-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Rotated pictures
memarybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,072

What could you possibly want to know about it?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Well I love it! But hubby says it hurts his eyes to look at it......and he refuses to re-wire the creature, unless it actually has some value.......I said ,what would hurt more is if I tossed it back into the garbage only to learn it was a one of kind antique worth thousands! So what I really would like to know , is its worth.
memarybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by memarybe View Post
Well I love it! But hubby says it hurts his eyes to look at it......and he refuses to re-wire the creature, unless it actually has some value.......I said ,what would hurt more is if I tossed it back into the garbage only to learn it was a one of kind antique worth thousands! So what I really would like to know , is its worth.
Well.... I think them being worth thousands may be a little wishful thinking but if you like them... then nice find.

Rewiring a lamp is pretty simple...If your hubby isn't up to it I'm sure you could do it with a little help from some of the fine members here.

That would show him.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,072

It's free, about $10.00 or less in parts to wire, go for it.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

I'm an expert on those lamps, and they aren't worth anything. As a matter of fact, they'll burn your house down. You'd better send it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly. 😃
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Looking on eBay, the brand certainly has a LITTLE bit of name recognition, but even at its best the lamp wouldn't be worth more than a couple hundred dollars (God knows why...).
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Mid Century Stiffel is pretty sought after in many urban locations in this country. In it's current condition, it's probably worth a couple of hundred bucks. If it were pristine, maybe a couple of thousand. Patina is important and shouldn't be removed, but it looks like an excess of patina on it. Meaning that it didn't receive ordinary regular cleaning and may have even been damaged at some point.

Here's a set of table lamps at 1stDibs that is in the same collection.

See how the brass is aged and not shiny, but still appears to be in good condition? They are asking $2800 for the pair, and probably will get close to that because of the condition. An Atlanta antique store has them on there. If you have an antique store close to you that posts on 1stDibs, and you carefully clean and rewire the lamp appropriately, you could possible get at least half of that for it. The trick is to not over restore it or do a hack job on the rewire.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

BTW, the fact that it has it's original shade (if it's original) brings the value up considerably. Those things got broken all the time.