Anyone Have Any Idea What This Is?? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
All or nothing.

Rewards Points: 25

Anyone have any idea what this is??

First off my uncle found it on one of his farm properties North of Weyburn Saskatchewan. It's about 70lbs and convex front, concave back. Almost looks like a shield... But would be a little heavy. In the logo the letters C and R are obvious. Ideas are 'Canadian Royal (Army)', 'Canadian Railway' and 'City of Regina'. Our 2 main railway companies are Canadian National and Canadian Pacific, so the railroad association is likely wrong (other then the possibility of it being from an engine).

Ideas for what is is range from:
- end cap for a steam engine of some sort, though it is oval and with no apparent holes for rivets and no weld bead.
- oval manhole cover (hence the city of Regina) but its convex/concave
- shield (possibly a mould of some sort?)

I cleaned up the logo to run through google goggles and came back with nothing. I may email a picture to a history professor if no one has any more insight.

Any ideas? Anything?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Latsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,184

The first two things that come to mind are a differential cover, but that would typically have a flat mating surface on the back side and bolt holes in the perimeter, or the lid for a boiler, but that would typically have some manner of of lip on the back side. So, maybe neither one is right, but thought that I would toss them out in case it might help someone else think of something more likely. As for the "CR", you may never know. We have quite a few items from days past, and, even with internet, and having a manufacturers stamped on them, it is often impossible to find much or any information, as the company came, went, and was forgotten. This afternoon, one of my "to do's" is to install a new bearing and reassemble my favorite jig saw, a Black & Decker that my dad bought, probably around 1950. That saw has a lot of miles on it, but is extremely well constucted, and still as accurate as anything that you would buy today. Nevertheless, even with the internet, I was unable to find any reference to it, let alone a schematic, so I just proceeded carefully, knowing that I would not to be able to replace any proprietory pasts if I broke something. Point being, that saw is only about 60 years old, and Black & Decker, albeit a totally different company today, is still in business, and I can't find anything on that, so you may never know the manufacturer or application of that item. Neat piece though.

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 260

I have doubts about an oval manhole cover. Manhole covers are typically round so they don't fall through the opening. Keep us up to date on your findings.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Part of an old coal stove ?
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

CR&O
RC&O

CR&o
RC&o

Bridge Medallion?
Cornerstone Medallion?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 260

If that R is actually an A it could be from an old Allis Chalmers farm implement.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
All or nothing.

Rewards Points: 25

Success! It's the cap for the water tender on the back of a Reeves and Company Steam Traction. Circa 1908.

The piece in the picture to the left is identical, and it's located on the rear of the overall unit (rear passenger side to be exact).

I have a friend that works at a museum that pulled through for me.

Cheers,
Darrick
Attached Images

Latsay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Latsay For This Useful Post:
daveb1 (12-06-2011), gma2rjc (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

cool

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote