Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

Anyone familiar with titan alarm?

Someone came to my door, long story short, if they place a sign in my yard I get a free system and only need to pay for the monitoring. It's a contract, which I'm fine with.

Reliance Home Comfort will be doing the monitoring, and it's a GE system. It seems legit, but I'm having slight doubts, they're installing it now. I agreed and all and they were not really pushy or anything, but I'm just surprised at the speed. Is this too good to be true? Anyone hear of them?

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

I really hesitated in responding to your question.

I will say only the following. READ THE CONTRACT.

Especially the part that talks about the term of the contract and how it is automatically renewable unless you notify them 30 days prior to the end of the term.

Calculate the amount it will co$t you over the term and decide if the FREE system is really FREE.

Hopefully you still have 2 days to rescind the contract if you have that right above the border and decide to do so.

Good Luck

End of my comments.

ABLE1

ABLE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Mod

Welcome to the forum ABLE1.

How long have you been lurking before this thread just made you have to post (I agree with you by the way)?

Hope to hear more from you soon.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #4

Hi, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks here. You will find me on Contractor Talk a bit more. I am a pro-alarm dealer and when I read what was posted by Red Squirrel I have a hard time keeping my words to myself.

I just came over here to see what was going on, not so much to build up my post count. I may comment from time to time if the spirit moves me.

I guess I should have put this in the intro section but that is for another day.

Have a good rest of the week.

ABLE1
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Wire Chewer

Oh I'm aware of the monitoring fees, but that goes with any system. My main fear is that there is something I am totally missing that I'll get dinged by. It's $40/mo and there's a $99 activation fee. Fairly normal for these type of systems as far as I know. I guess the "catch" is that it's a 5 year contract, which is kinda long so over the course of those years a DIY system that I buy would be cheaper.

Though I was thinking, do you normally even have to pay the upfront cost of all the equipment? That's the part that I got free, but now that I think of it, isn't that part normally free anyway?

Edit: 40*12*5=2,400. yikes, think I see what you mean now. Then again if I got a DIY system I'd need to have a cell phone on me at all times and a cell plan starts at $30/mo... so guess I have to look at it that way.

My main concern is whether the system is actually effective or not, and that it's not just a huge scam of some sort. If it works as it's designed, IMO it's worth it. It has the smoke detection and flood protection as well. One of my fears is if ever a fire starts and because I'm at work all day, I'd never be able to know about it before it's too late. So it's more than just theft protection.

Last edited by Red Squirrel; 10-05-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #6

$2,400 can get you a lot of equipment.

You would do yourself some good and call a local small dealer and ask what it would cost to install the same (and I mean SAME) model and exact equipment that your currently have. Then ask what the monthly monitoring would be if you paid up front. Then sit down with a calculator and you bank account. Just do the math. If you are happy with it then so be it. If YOU think you got snookered, you most likely did.

Otherwise use it for all it is worth.

ABLE1