Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

anyone experienced with manufactured homes?

Do they typically sprout cracks and leaks after a few short years like mine has? What do you do when that happens? I am having a panic attack after noticing this morning that my skylight is leaking! Thought I was buying a quality home (Palm Harbor). After three years, the place is full of cracks, leaks and mold. Palm Harbor isn't interested in hearing about it - what do I do?

Vicki J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

How old is the home? Was it brand new when you bought it. My aunt and uncle bought a manufactured home and there neighbor bought one also and they live in michigan with all the change in weather they havent said anything about there home i know that they have a warrenty. They told me that they think it is beeter build then a onsite house. so i guess thats hit or miss on that.

PSHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #3

My home is three and a half years old. We bought it brand new from the factory. Now the ceiling is cracked, the siding is cracked, a window is cracked and the skylight is leaking. The company who set it up originally put it in the wrong place on our site and we made them move it to the right place. I wonder if they somehow damaged it when the moved it.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would get in conntact with that manufacturer of the home
PSHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

A relative of mine has a manufactured home now for about 5 years and loves it. I find the construction is quality and what extras they have added when built were very beneficial to its value. That being said, in their case it is the responsibility of the installer for any problems that might occur post install. as long as any problem can not be attributed to manufacture, it is the quality workmanship of the installer to make it right. Of course the installers are certified by the manufacturer but do not work for them.

They did save time and money compared to a stick built. This house was installed at the NJ shore a couple blocks from the beach.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #6

I have always loved the house. We chose the floorplan and then added our custom touches to it. But I have been very unhappy with the response I have gotten from the manufacturer even during the 1 year warranty period. When I told them there was a leak on the electrical panel wall, they were unconcerned, when I told them there was mold growing at the bottom of the same wall, they told me to spray bleach on it, but they never came out to fix the leak. After numerous calls to them with no result I finally gave up. This company advertises "Gold Key" service, but does not deliver.

This morning when I saw that the skylight in the kitchen is now leaking I had a panic attack. I finally called an inspector to come out and get under the house to see if we can figure out where the cracks in the walls, ceiling and hardy board siding are coming from, and find out why the skylight is leaking after only three short years.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #7

The only time I lived in a "new" home was when my dad bought a new single wide when I was a kid. Other than that I have always lived in old houses that were built to last. With that I can't tell you what the differences are in quality in a new house vs a new mobile home.

I can tell you that any mobile home vs older homes, well older homes always win out on quality. My dads trailer leaked in the bathroom around the vent, and within 5 years the bottom of the plastic tub had cracked and started leaking.

The cabinets were not quality, they were just stapled together stick by stick, there were no baseboards or moulding around windows and doors. It was, for all intents and purposes, a typical mobile home. When it gets to the point where a manufactured home cost as much as a site built home, then we have a problem.

As far as your question, you might want to start talking to an attorney. The mobile home dealers are not interested in your problems. They have collected their commission, and they are done with you, unlike buying a new car, which a car salesmen knows that that car is only going to last so long, if he treats you right, you will come back to his dealership to purchase your next car. In mobile home dealers however, they figure you are going to own that home for at least 30 years, and if you ever move it will be to someone else's market.

My grandmother purchased a doublewide and had all sorts of problems.
andrewcocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

many of your problems could be with the "foundation" and the set-up of the home.

If the ground was not prepared properly or the foundation not substantial enough or the set-up performed improperly, you may be seeing cracks as a result of the settling. If you still have a warranty from the dealer, I would suggest beating on them to relevel the home and inspect the foundation.

as to the mold; get a bigger stick and beat some more. This should have been taken care of long ago. It is a shame but many mod home installers have gained similar disreputable histories.

whoops, sorry. I re-read your original post and realized it has been three years.

Sorry to say but unless the home manuafacturer has some lengthy warranty, you are probable on your own unless you can document unsettled problems from the beginning. Even then you may be beyond any applicable statute of limitations in your state to take legal action.

An inititial cinsult with an attorney is relaltively cheap and may provide some direction or assistance but you may simply end up paying for these things out of your pocket.

Last edited by nap; 02-23-2008 at 12:53 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #9

You know how stickbuilt homes "settle" for awhile? I think manufactured homes go thru the same thing.
The first place I'd start (aside from the mold issue) is to have a guy come out who can re-level the home.
I've had it done for $100-150. Other than the cracks.. signs of going out of level would be doors that won't click shut.. windows that are harder to slide.. I've had it done twice in 14 years, but it will vary depending on the soil, and if it was set up properly initially. It isn't a complicated job.
As to the mold.. when the guy goes underneath to re-level it, have him check that the moisture barrier is intact. You can also check on the roof that the vents are clear and not clogged by leaves etc. If the problem is in the bathroom, try installing a more powerful fan.
Leaks.. make sure your gutters are clear and that the downspouts are clear. I was a first time home owner. After 10 years I checked my downspouts.. they were packed 5 ft deep with tree debri..leaves, needles and dirt. Make sure whatever route water takes away from the house is clear.. mine has buried flex hose. They had been attached to the downspouts with duct tape. I had to dig it up, pull it closer and reattach correctly.
If you have a double or triplewide with one of those short gutters between the sides, they clog quickly if you're under trees so check them often. I also went and caulked around the windows as they hadn't seemed to have been done.
I have an 87 triplewide that was moved here in 94 and I bought it at that time. I love it. I've looked at many homes since and never found one I liked the layout of better. After 14 years we're finally making the changes that we always wanted to..added a deck, new door to the deck by the kitchen, corian kitchen counters, induction cooktop, new vinyl kitchen floor, and soon new laminate wood floor to replace dining and livingroom wall to wall carpeting that I hated since day 1. Learned 1 good thing about having an older manufactured home from the vinyl guy.. mine has 3/4" plywood subfloor.. apparently a thing of the past. Now they have cheaper stuff. Also learned that manufactured homes use a "special" (translation: seriously low grade) vinyl flooring. Mine was stamped on the back "mobile flor". So even if you upgrade to a budget vinyl, it will be much better quality than what it came with. To avoid having subfloor seems show thu, we took the old vinyl off, they scraped the subfloor and sanded it and then put a thin layer of concrete on it as a leveler (and seam hider). Everyone kept saying we should just put the new vinyl on the old but I'm glad we didn't. This solved the problem of the subfloor seam showing thru.

llazyiest is offline   Reply With Quote