Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Handyman

Share |

Anyone been a remodel teacher?

In Ontario there are govnt programs trying to get graduating high school students interested in trades. Specifically, women in trades. I think its a great program and since my daughter has worked on several of my jobs I am encouraging her to pursue it. She is meticulous in her work and most of my customers admire the fact that a 17 yr old is interested in renovations and watch her mud, paint, tile, etc.

Its a new program so details are minimal. She went through a school program and the school let me be the sponsor. I gave her a test...67%
Boy, was she pissed at me But it wasn't her work, it was her tardy response.

Anyway, with her academic grades and passing all of her intermediate courses she has a scholarship for 27 weeks.

My question is, I am not liscenced on any specific trade ( I am certified in Nortel as a communiations engineer...so I'm a dinosaur) but I have been doing renos since I can remember. I would love to teach kids to build, create and maintain homes and give them thoughts on future careers.

When I was growing up (no offense please) kids who didn't have the academic skills quota were discounted and sent to trade school. Times have changed for the better.

My question is, are any members involved in training youth for trades? We're not talking apprenticeship..just a guideline. Do I need a teachers degree? Do I need to be liscenced in a particular trade?
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

I think WillieT might have a thought on this---I like teaching the young guys--Never thought about actually teaching in a school setting.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
just a dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Do I need a teachers degree? Do I need to be liscenced in a particular trade?
I teach English at a career tech school in Ohio and I know that most, if not all, of those teaching a trade do not have teaching degrees. However, they are paid on the same step system that teachers are and they receive credit for their experience in the field.

I do believe they are licensed in their respective fields. We don't have a "remodel" instructor, though, so I don't know how that would work.

I don't know if other trade schools work the same way, but that's how it goes where I am.

Rob
rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rocklobster For This Useful Post:
canadaclub (06-15-2010)