Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Member
 
chefKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 40
Share |
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry
About 15-20 years ago, I was at a Toronto Leafs game with two friends and their father (a NHL All-star and legend locally). As we nursed our drinks (served in a real glass with ice) the father talked about the changes in hockey and did not like the direction it was going. He said it was turning over to the goons with little skill other than drawing blood and attracting attention.

It turned out that he was at the same game as I was at 20 years earlier than then when his sons played for St. Marys on a trip to MN.

I think one of the 2 games they played in, was against a high school the Herbie Brooks (or his younger brother) played for before the Olympics and coaching the Rangers.
Thats Neat!

Post 2005 lockout They changed the game rather drastically it is now an extremely fast (some say too fast to the point of being dangerous) and skilled game and the role of a goon is slowly being phased out entirely very few teams have Room for a player on their roster for a Non-skill player that doesn't have the skating ability and skills to score or at least Provide a strong defense and forechecking presence. Currently many fans not including myself Are lamenting that the game is actually trending towards fighting going the way of the dodo. Gone already are the staged fights and line brawls.

chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #32
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,069
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefKev View Post
Thats Neat!

Post 2005 lockout They changed the game rather drastically it is now an extremely fast (some say too fast to the point of being dangerous) and skilled game and the role of a goon is slowly being phased out entirely very few teams have Room for a player on their roster for a Non-skill player that doesn't have the skating ability and skills to score or at least Provide a strong defense and forechecking presence. Currently many fans not including myself Are lamenting that the game is actually trending towards fighting going the way of the dodo. Gone already are the staged fights and line brawls.
If guys want to fight...let them watch WWW or UFC.....I'd rather watch a game.....and I like the fast pace....your never bored...

My architect is an avid hockey fan....plays amateur hockey every Friday. I have some connections with the Kings....I offered to get him a practice session with them....he declined saying something like "Are you kidding, they would kill me out there.".

So, even though it's more about the game than the fighting...it's still rough out there.
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Any Hockey Fans?




.......How Canadians save on toothpaste
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
Thread killer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 288
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by chefKev View Post
Thats Neat!

Post 2005 lockout They changed the game rather drastically it is now an extremely fast (some say too fast to the point of being dangerous) and skilled game and the role of a goon is slowly being phased out entirely very few teams have Room for a player on their roster for a Non-skill player that doesn't have the skating ability and skills to score or at least Provide a strong defense and forechecking presence. Currently many fans not including myself Are lamenting that the game is actually trending towards fighting going the way of the dodo. Gone already are the staged fights and line brawls.
I think it's too fast for the outdated rink sizes the NHL uses these days. The players are bigger, stronger and faster. It would be nice to see them on international sized ice but you'll never convince an owner to remove seats to do that, so we get the product you see now. It isn't bad but I remember watching the Nagano olympics and saying how awesome it would be to have big rinks in North america. Great flow to the game and lots of hits.
__________________
You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.
Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
Member
 
Davejss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northern Massachusetts
Posts: 336
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Bruins!
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,736
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Canuker -

The international sheets of ice are great to let fans see the real fliers/skaters and passers create options instead of stuffing someones head into the glass or on the ice. - They can still hit with a lot of speed, but do not waste the time and ruin a good play.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #37
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,069
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Just a couple of guys 'bonding'.
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #39
Thread killer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 288
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Canuker -

The international sheets of ice are great to let fans see the real fliers/skaters and passers create options instead of stuffing someones head into the glass or on the ice. - They can still hit with a lot of speed, but do not waste the time and ruin a good play.

Dick
If it were up to me, I'd drop about 10 teams from the NHL, starting with any team south of the Mason-Dixon line, and make the owners expand the ice. That would make for some great games in pretty short order. I think the NHL powers sell the fans a bit short. I would have no problem watching a 1-0 game if it was defense/goalie talent that kept the score low and not just clutching and grabbing by talent less pylons. Its not just the goals that are watched
__________________
You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two.
Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #40
Member
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: As always..beside myself.
Posts: 4,226
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


I agree. Unfortunately, while shots on goal prove the stronger team, they don't win the game.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #41
Member
 
chefKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 40
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker

If it were up to me, I'd drop about 10 teams from the NHL, starting with any team south of the Mason-Dixon line, and make the owners expand the ice. That would make for some great games in pretty short order. I think the NHL powers sell the fans a bit short. I would have no problem watching a 1-0 game if it was defense/goalie talent that kept the score low and not just clutching and grabbing by talent less pylons. Its not just the goals that are watched
I enjoy and appreciate defense and a good goalie duel but would not appreciate it If 1-0 was the norm.
chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


I was one until recently.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #43
Member
 
chefKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 40
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
I was one until recently.
Thank you for taking the time to share that with us...moving on.

Who saw the redwings taking the Blackhawks behind the Woodshed coming? I mean its Detroit so you can never count them out, but geez their crappy D is somehow getting it done!
chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #44
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,635
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


People are getting optimistic and ordering octopi. I remain too depressed to even think about hockey for awhile.

Did this season seem awfully short to some people? I hope, NHL realizes that its fans are more unique than perhaps to any other sport. I will get over the loss I am suffering.

I do hope somebody can freeze a puck and toss it on ice a tad earlier next year?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #45
Member
 
chefKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 40
Default

Any Hockey Fans?


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
People are getting optimistic and ordering octopi. I remain too depressed to even think about hockey for awhile.

Did this season seem awfully short to some people? I hope, NHL realizes that its fans are more unique than perhaps to any other sport. I will get over the loss I am suffering.

I do hope somebody can freeze a puck and toss it on ice a tad earlier next year?
Didn't seem short to me. Anytime the Blue Jackets are playing past the first week of April even in a shortened season that makes it seem longer. Getting caught up in the playoff push that was extremely unexpected also helped to draw out the season quite a bit. I'm usually draft pick watching by January.

chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I safely use a DC9V 500mAh adapter to power 2 CPU fans for DIY reciever cooling? Foxtrot_01 Electrical 11 05-21-2013 02:45 PM
What Bathroom Exhaust fans require a Neutral switched Timer? Ocelaris Electrical 10 03-29-2013 12:29 PM
2 ceiling fans on single wall switch Zig Electrical 5 03-06-2012 09:16 PM
Outdoor ceiling fans issues Eli3635 General DIY Discussions 10 08-24-2011 12:16 PM
Roof fans sucking air through chimney? Badfish740 HVAC 8 10-08-2008 10:01 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.