Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |

Any Hockey Fans?

Still licking my wounds from my Blue Jackets narrowly missing the playoffs...man I wish backstrom could have gotten hurt a week earlier. We gave Chicago hell this year. Who do you like for the cup? I'm taking San Jose v Pens (bleh)

chefKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Any Hockey Fans?

Any Hockey Fans?

no

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Floor Installer

Any Hockey Fans?

If hockey doesn't get a major TV contract soon, it will disappear. The thing is tho, most sports fans, including me, find it boring.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor
If hockey doesn't get a major TV contract soon, it will disappear. The thing is tho, most sports fans, including me, find it boring.
I try not to feed trolls but your sweeping generalities and anecdotal "statistic" based on your peer group no doubt which I am sure is a very accurate representation of the country... is too adorable not to toss some bread crumbs.

Here ya go...

Hockey is not going to disappear attendance and $$ are way up and they are talking expansion again.

it could definitely do with a better TV deal (ESPN), but I'd say NBC is a pretty big network. just because ESPN doesn't cover it doesn't mean that it's going to disappear or that its not very popular in states with NHL teams. It's never going to be a TV sport though its too fast and not enough breaks for American's short attention spans. If you haven't been to a live game you are missing out.

Despite having a pretty pathetic television contract that relegates it to NBCSports hockey has the fourth largest revenue among sports and makes 5x more revenue than NASCAR and NASCAR has the SECOND-LARGEST television revenue behind only the NFL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chefKev For This Useful Post:
Canucker (05-16-2013), TheEplumber (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Floor Installer

Any Hockey Fans?

NBC is barely surviving. One recent week it was behind Telemundo in ratings. And hockey will never be one of the mainstream American sports. Just read the stories. Most Americans have no interest in it. It is like soccer, very popular other places, but not in the US. The offside rules are too confusing to the average sports fan. Just like they are in soccer. Just like the NFL is difficult for people in other countries to understand. Most American sport fans like more scoring. The average sports fan likes high scoring NFL games, not defensive battles.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #6

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor
NBC is barely surviving. One recent week it was behind Telemundo in ratings. And hockey will never be one of the mainstream American sports. Just read the stories. Most Americans have no interest in it. It is like soccer, very popular other places, but not in the US. The offside rules are too confusing to the average sports fan. Just like they are in soccer. Just like the NFL is difficult for people in other countries to understand. Most American sport fans like more scoring. The average sports fan likes high scoring NFL games, not defensive battles.
Offsides in hockey is as simple as football, it's a fixed line that you can't cross before the puck does unlike soccer which is a moving line. How is that complicated unless you are a total simpleton?

Saying its not as mainstream as say the NFLI can agree with as it is more regional. That's not the same as saying its going to disappear...hockey's numbers by the way are very close to the NBAs.

Scoring...wow! I hope you don't do the flooring calculations yourself. An average football game has 42 pts scored which is 6 scores. The NHL averages 5.7 goals a game. That's equivalent to 40 pts over the same length of game time and over a shorter period of real time.
The Following User Says Thank You to chefKev For This Useful Post:
Canucker (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Thread killer

Any Hockey Fans?

I'm following my Blackhawks. Most likely be a
watching them all the way to the cup. My brother, the Leaf fan, will be jealous we closed out our last game for a win when we had a lead in the 3rd period.
chefKev (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Jack of all - master none

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
Hockey, like Soccer, is hard for Americans to get into because it's difficult to get excited about a sport that can often end regulation in a 0-0 tie. Baseball is kinda the opposite - if it was a 0-0 tie after 9, it would be a spectacular pitchers' duel. In football, a 21-7 game is really like a 3-1 game, but the plurality of points for goals make it seem much more eventful. The possibility of scoring multiple amounts points for different achievements also adds an element of strategy.

Hockey is also somewhat unorganized looking to the unfaithful. In baseball and football, everyone has their place on the field. Hockey can just look like players skating around all haphazardly without "plays" or strategy. Soccer can appear this way too. I think modern television makes hockey better than it used to be, but it's still a very fast-paced game with a small object that is not easy to track. The other sport with such a small object, baseball, you don't really need to see the ball to know what's going on - he hit it or he didn't. Seeing passes or shot deflections are not present/important like they are in Hockey.

Really though, there is only room for one primary sport per season. Football in Fall/Winter, and Baseball in Spring/Summer. Any other sport (be it NBA, NHL, MLS, NASCAR) has to take a back seat runner-up position in the U.S.

It's all regional though. Table Tennis, worldwide, has more fans than Baseball and American Football COMBINED. Could you imagine? If your city doesn't have a team (a good team), it's also not very popular. I don't know if I could have named 3 people that I knew that watched the Blackhawks before their Stanley Cup Championship a couple years ago. Now everyone acts like they've been lifelong fans.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
chefKev (05-16-2013), jbfan (05-20-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2

Hockey, like Soccer, is hard for Americans to get into because it's difficult to get excited about a sport that can often end regulation in a 0-0 tie. Baseball is kinda the opposite - if it was a 0-0 tie after 9, it would be a spectacular pitchers' duel. In football, a 21-7 game is really like a 3-1 game, but the plurality of points for goals make it seem much more eventful. The possibility of scoring multiple amounts points for different achievements also adds an element of strategy.

Hockey is also somewhat unorganized looking to the unfaithful. In baseball and football, everyone has their place on the field. Hockey can just look like players skating around all haphazardly without "plays" or strategy. Soccer can appear this way too. I think modern television makes hockey better than it used to be, but it's still a very fast-paced game with a small object that is not easy to track. The other sport with such a small object, baseball, you don't really need to see the ball to know what's going on - he hit it or he didn't. Seeing passes or shot deflections are not present/important like they are in Hockey.

Really though, there is only room for one primary sport per season. Football in Fall/Winter, and Baseball in Spring/Summer. Any other sport (be it NBA, NHL, MLS, NASCAR) has to take a back seat runner-up position in the U.S.

It's all regional though. Table Tennis, worldwide, has more fans than Baseball and American Football COMBINED. Could you imagine? If your city doesn't have a team (a good team), it's also not very popular. I don't know if I could have named 3 people that I knew that watched the Blackhawks before their Stanley Cup Championship a couple years ago. Now everyone acts like they've been lifelong fans.
Chicago is indeed the bandwagon capital of the NHL not all fans are bandwagon fans but they went from worst attendance to first in one year, but you'll have that when you suck for a while and start winning. Also 0-0 at end of regulation is extremely rare and i cant tell by your wording if you know or not, sorry if you do, the game can't end in a tie unlike soccer. That extra column in in the hockey standings is for OT losses not ties.

Also I appreciate you voicing your opinion thoughtfully and without resorting to blanket generalities and meaningless anecdotal evidence. I have no problem with people not being into what I'm into it makes know difference to me but it boils my blood when people attack things from a position of ignorance as others have.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #10

Any Hockey Fans?

Was a Florida fan but they didn't even make it to the big dance!!! Woe is me. maybe i'll start watching LA? Whos the most fun to watch fellas?
Darryl Mathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #11

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Mathe
Was a Florida fan but they didn't even make it to the big dance!!! Woe is me. maybe i'll start watching LA? Whos the most fun to watch fellas?
Not usually but this year my Jackets were fun to watch. Other than that I've always enjoyed watching San Jose's offensive prowess, and the rangers are kinda interesting to watch because they are so star loaded but seem to underperform, you're just waiting to watch them explode offensively.

-Kev
Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
Thread killer

Any Hockey Fans?

Every city, in every sport, has bandwagon fans. Hardly fair to paint Chicago with that brush. I don't remember seeing much Packers gear during the 80's, just a few of the diehards that liked to give it to me when they beat the Bears. Now its just one of the many "bandwagon" fan groups, just like all the L.A. Kings "fans" that suddenly appeared after the Stanley Cup.
To the other point, as hard as it may be to believe, you may not see hockey on TV in the U.S.(doubtful), it would hardly be a loss. It would still be on in Canada, and that's good enough for me.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #13

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker
Every city, in every sport, has bandwagon fans. Hardly fair to paint Chicago with that brush. I don't remember seeing much Packers gear during the 80's, just a few of the diehards that liked to give it to me when they beat the Bears. Now its just one of the many "bandwagon" fan groups, just like all the L.A. Kings "fans" that suddenly appeared after the Stanley Cup.
To the other point, as hard as it may be to believe, you may not see hockey on TV in the U.S.(doubtful), it would hardly be a loss. It would still be on in Canada, and that's good enough for me.
Don't take it personally, I didn't say anything was wrong with it, like I said you'll have that when you when a cup.

Edit: The pens were the same too, it happens when any team loses so much that the casual fan stops coming. When they win they come back.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Thread killer

Any Hockey Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefKev View Post
Don't take it personally, I didn't say anything was wrong with it, like I said you'll have that when you when a cup.

Edit: The pens were the same too, it happens when any team loses so much that the casual fan stops coming. When they win they come back.
Then you can come watch it up here with me, if they take it off the air down there. I'll supply the beer. lol
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #15

Any Hockey Fans?

I've seen NFL, MLB, and NHL live- I'll take NHL live any time. It's like baseball- there's a game inside the game. Once you figure that out- it's very exciting.
When viewing a regular season game on TV- it's football because their seasons are shorter and each game is important. Baseball has what- 100 plus games? Give me a break...
Anyways- I'm rooting for Detroit only because their coach used to manage our local minor league team- which I happen to be a season ticket holder

The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
chefKev (05-16-2013)