AIRPLANES--Things I Have Always Questioned - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

AIRPLANES--Things I have always questioned

(1)--Why do airplanes not have muffler to cut sound?
(2)--Many things are dropped from airplanes using parachutes, race cars and even the space shuttle use parachutes to slow them down.
Why do airplanes not have parachutes attached to their fuselage to slow the decent when a crash is imminent?

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Look at the size of this parachute compared to this lightweight plane
Do the math

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

a muffler on a jet?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sucking in a bird is natural jet engine muffler. I don't understand why they are always firing off cannons to scare the things away.

The question I am asking is now that personal jets are just around the corner and some are already mapping out airports? Will texting and talking on cellphones be allowed in the air? Will there be legal limits to establish FUI? Will women fard (to apply makeup) in personal jets like they do in cars on the expressway?

I see jet fuel cleanup and roof replacement businesses being hot in the near future. I cannot wait for Illinois drivers to be airborne in their own jets! LaLanders too of course. NYC drivers and even those in Philly never bothered me so much. Chicago drivers don't either but wow was Champaign Urbana an experience is psychotic motorist behavior.

Last edited by user1007; 01-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

Personal jets are not around the corner. A "personal" jet like the Eclipse 500 still costs approximately $1.5mil list. And the ACMI cost of a small 6 place jet like the Eclipse is probably north of $200 per hour.

If anything makes flying more accessible, it will be the new light-sport category. Jets will remain in the domain of the multi-millionaire for now.

As to the OP,
1) it would cut airflow too much, thereby reducing efficiency. Powerplant engineers attempt to reduce noise through different ducting designs, and washing bypass flow over core flow. The new 787's have chevrons on the engines that supposedly reduce noise.
2) some smaller planes do have parachutes, for example the Cirrus SR-22. It would take too big of a parachute for a big jet though, again reducing efficiency. The public is not willing to pay triple or quadruple price for tickets on a parachute equipped commercial jetliner. Not to mention that, the most dangerous phase of flight is takeoff and landing, and during those phases the parachute would be of dubious benefit as it probably would not have enough time to deploy successfully.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

The truth is, airplanes DO have mufflers, even jet engines. Without them there would be a great deal more noise.

With respect to parachutes, a number of light airplanes have them, and they have had some success. One of the problems is that even though the chute will slow down the descent, you have no control over where the aircraft will land, and therefore some injuries have occurred.

The comment about why fire cannons to chase of birds has to do with the fact that birds cause millions of dollars of damage to aircraft, and in some cases bring aircraft down or kill pilots.

JetAviator7

John M. White, Publisher

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 02-04-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: removed links
JetAviator7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetAviator7 View Post
The truth is, airplanes DO have mufflers, even jet engines. Without them there would be a great deal more noise.
r
So, can I run down to Autozone and pick up a muffler for my 737?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
(1)--Why do airplanes not have muffler to cut sound?
(2)--Many things are dropped from airplanes using parachutes, race cars and even the space shuttle use parachutes to slow them down.
t?
you need to realize that the race cars and the space shuttle chutes are to slow them down in addition to any other means of braking on the vehicle themselves. The braking chutes are supplemental to the mechanical brakes as the chute itself would not be effective enough to stop the vehicle within anything close to a reasonable distance without the other braking systems being used.

unless you have "air brakes", a comparably sized chute would do very little to increase survivability.

think about how large of a canopy is used for just one man just to slow him down enough so he is not broken on landing. Even then, if you land improperly, you can still get severely injured.

Consider the average guy, oh, say, 180 lbs. a boeing 737-800 has a max take off weight of 155,500 lbs. That is about 864 times the weight. I am not into physics but a bit of logic would tell you the canopy needed would be fricken huge and then, it has weight as well so you reduce the capacity of the plane as much as the chute systems weighs.

Now, if you started figuring out how low the percentage of flights end in a crash, you would quickly come to the conclusion, even if you could install a chute in a reasonable fashion, would be quite expensive compared to any gains.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #9

fricken huge?is that metric nap?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
fricken huge?is that metric nap?
yes. If I used the English equivalent, I think I would get banned
Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

hows about some parachutes on that blue ice huh huh
Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #12

Every piston engine airplane I have ever seen have no muffler. I just came in from my yard and observed six small planes and every one was real loud. Is it a safety reason that the exhaust is emitted without being muffled? My son has had two Cessnas and now has Beachcraft Baron and none of these had any mufflers on them. Anyone know the reason why?
norvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvet View Post
Every piston engine airplane I have ever seen have no muffler. I just came in from my yard and observed six small planes and every one was real loud. Is it a safety reason that the exhaust is emitted without being muffled? My son has had two Cessnas and now has Beachcraft Baron and none of these had any mufflers on them. Anyone know the reason why?
mufflers generally cause a loss of power, add weight, and take up precious space.

but even given that, here is a page where you can buy mufflers for some planes, including some Cessnas.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. I live near the beach and in we have airplanes towing message signs almost all summer and the noise gets old after a while, a steady drone all day long. I've tried to contact the FAA, but they would not give me an answer...................
norvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

you want noisy piston engine planes?

listen to a P51 or a Jap zero. they are loud, especially when climbing fast.

I would think for something like the banner planes they would have to abide by local noise ordinances or possibly a nuisance issue ordinance.

Advertisement