DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/)
-   -   Aggravating --No NAME NO NUMBER CALLS (http://www.diychatroom.com/f39/aggravating-no-name-no-number-calls-74103/)

Giles 06-18-2010 09:36 PM

Aggravating --No NAME NO NUMBER CALLS
 
I have caller ID---I am on the Do Not Call ---Lately I have been getting 4 or 5 calls a day where there is no identity and they do not leave a message.
What, if anything, can be done to stop this?:furious:

Shadoglare 06-18-2010 09:52 PM

If it's not even giving you so much as a phone number you may have to actually pick up and find out who it is that is calling, if just long enough to make a note of the company name and then tell them to take you off of their call list.
Even if you're on the do-not-call list there are groups that don't have to follow it, such as not-for-profits looking for donations (and I think political groups) and that sort of thing.

Bud Cline 06-18-2010 10:00 PM

Your telephone service provider knows who the calls are coming from...complain to them. If they say they can't help you then go to the Public Service Commission and file a complaint against your telephone service provider. That will get results. You can stop those calls.:)

Scuba_Dave 06-18-2010 10:08 PM

There was a huge uproar here when Scott Brown was being elected
Big push by the Dems to call repeatedly & push voting against him

And many spam callers will hang up as soon as you start to ask them who they are or to take your number off the list

Quote:

Evidently, Verizon can shortstop such calls from commercial telemarketers, but not from charitable or political organizations.
Quote:

If the annoyance calls are anonymous, you can set up an "Anonymous Call Rejection" service. It will tell callers you don t accept calls unless the caller s phone number is displayed on your caller ID panel. They will have to hang up, unblock their number and call again
Verizon used to have call blocking, but has been discontinued in MA

Giles 06-18-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadoglare (Post 458382)
If it's not even giving you so much as a phone number you may have to actually pick up and find out who it is that is calling, if just long enough to make a note of the company name and then tell them to take you off of their call list.
Even if you're on the do-not-call list there are groups that don't have to follow it, such as not-for-profits looking for donations (and I think political groups) and that sort of thing.

Many times, I have answered and I get a hang-up:mad:

aggreX 06-18-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 458368)
I have caller ID---I am on the Do Not Call ---Lately I have been getting 4 or 5 calls a day where there is no identity and they do not leave a message.
What, if anything, can be done to stop this?:furious:

Its been amazingly quiet ever since I got rid of my landline. No annoying calls at dinner and sat/sun mornings. I had the same phone problem for years and hooking the fax machine to deal with them was another option.

rusty baker 06-19-2010 12:13 AM

If bill collectors call you, I had one calling my house looking for someone I never heard of, they are required by federal law to have their name come up on caller ID. They are not supposed to block their phone number either. This company would just come up as all zeroes. I answered and got the name and number and it still took several complaint calls to get them to stop.

Red Squirrel 06-19-2010 11:28 AM

I get this really annoying call from "construction distr" or something like that. They call me at all sorts of random times even 4am. when I pickup it's just a bunch of beeps. VERY anoying. I get those same beeps when I call the number. Have not been able to figure out how to stop it. There is a company called construction distribution but their numbers don't match up.

Shadoglare 06-19-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Squirrel (Post 458553)
I get this really annoying call from "construction distr" or something like that. They call me at all sorts of random times even 4am. when I pickup it's just a bunch of beeps. VERY anoying. I get those same beeps when I call the number. Have not been able to figure out how to stop it. There is a company called construction distribution but their numbers don't match up.

If it's beeps, it's probably a fax machine. If somebody typo's the phone number they want to fax to, it'll call the wrong number, repeatedly, in hopes that another fax machine will pick up (the beeping noise is the machine's way of letting the other fax machine know it is there).
If it keeps happening call their main number and ask them to check their fax machine.

Red Squirrel 06-19-2010 11:57 AM

yeah I thought maybe a fax machine, but it's odd because of how random it is. They'll call maybe once a week at a random time. It does not hit the voice mail either, pretty sure a fax machine would.

DangerMouse 06-19-2010 01:01 PM

The do not call list recently got "flushed" and most people will need to return and re-sign with the service.

Just an FYI.

DM

Red Squirrel 06-19-2010 01:48 PM

The DNC list is a joke here in Canada. Most of the callers are exempt! It's stupid really. Good to know though, I'll have to sign up again, if it stops 10% of the calls then it's better then nothing.

rusty baker 06-19-2010 02:44 PM

We had a politician here running on a campaign to make computer generated calls illegal . He contacted voters by, you guessed it, computer generated calls. :censored:

DangerMouse 06-19-2010 04:02 PM

It happened last year or the year before. I started getting annoying calls again and wondered why.
I re-signed up and they've all but stopped again. Po)

DM

TJ_in_IL 06-21-2010 12:23 PM

VoIP Solution
 
I switched over to VoIP service about 5 years ago.... best thing ever. I can block anon calls, invalid North America CID (all zero's or all one's), I can block by CID name, partial numbers, or individual numbers. Not only can I block, but I can select how it is blocked (busy signal, blocked call message, stop calling message) or forward the calls (rejection hotline, back to themselves, etc.).
I can also schedule times for a "white list", where a prescribed list of numbers will ring, all others go to voicemail.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved