Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Adding a small addition.

Thanks in advance to all that will reply, and thanks to the mods for doing this as I'm sure it's a non paid job.

My wife and I just bought a new house (built 1949) and we will be adding a small kitchen addition. The current kitchen is approx 10'X 14', we will be adding another 10'X10' of space and we need to have a foundation poured for this. We live in North New Jersey and I'm trying to get rough est. on what some of our costs will be.

We have an existing basement but will not be adding to it, they will need to tear up some existing concrete slab and dig a footing (not sure what dimensions though) the block will be approx 3' high at its lowest point and rise to 4' above ground level as it is on a slope.

Once this step is done they will frame it out, wire it up, move plumbing as needed etc..I plan on doing the cabinet and tile work myself assuming I don't get a great offer from the contractor with cabinets and counter tops.

I'm trying my best to keep costs down without cheeping out on anything, I don't want to be taken advantage of either. I'm figuring on cabinets around 7K total, 10K if I have too (I know some that will spend 30k and up). I can get my own electrician and plumbers if the GC comes in with a high ball price as a way of saving some money.

Any idea on what we can expect to pay for the foundation and framing costs?

08087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 8

Adding a small addition.

I think that you will need to make some calls locally--Have you got a set of plans yet?

Typically an architect will offer you some idea of local costs.

Without plans,most concrete contractors will not want to talk to you. No plans means that you are a 'tire kicker" or a time waster.

One of the biggest variables in foundation work is access to the site and hidden things,like power,phone and water---

Before you invite someone out to look over the job,call your utility locater--It's usually free--
then the contractors can see what they are up against.

I hope this helped you a bit ---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

Adding a small addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I think that you will need to make some calls locally--Have you got a set of plans yet?

Typically an architect will offer you some idea of local costs.

Without plans,most concrete contractors will not want to talk to you. No plans means that you are a 'tire kicker" or a time waster.

One of the biggest variables in foundation work is access to the site and hidden things,like power,phone and water---

Before you invite someone out to look over the job,call your utility locater--It's usually free--
then the contractors can see what they are up against.

I hope this helped you a bit ---Mike---

Thanks I should have mentioned this. Plans are in the works the Architect has given me rough plans for the town to approve the project and is in the process of making up plans more spicific to the job.

One thing I didn't think my Architect was right on though was the cost of a foundation. He qouted me 10K for a 100 sq. ft. addition. Assuming there are no power lines (which run from the pole to the front of my home) and no water pipes (which also should run from the street to the front) the addition is in the rear of the home with access via a side yard with no fence.

When he said 10K I almost (on the inside) died. Hell for that amount I'd pour it myself (joking).

Thanks for the reply.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
DIY staff

Adding a small addition.

That would be high in my area---start making a few calls--also learn how to qualify a contractor--

also learn about lien wavers--that is a legal document--a legal receipt that will prevent a subcontractor from putting alien against your property if the general contractor doesn't pay the sub.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #5

Adding a small addition.

Quote:
That would be high in my area---start making a few calls--also learn how to qualify a contractor--

also learn about lien wavers--that is a legal document--a legal receipt that will prevent a subcontractor from putting alien against your property if the general contractor doesn't pay the sub.

Not sure what "qualifing" a contractor means. If you mean quizing him about work practices and building codes etc... I get you but if not I'm lost.

I'll be checking into the wavers thing.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

Adding a small addition.

In 2006 I had a 24x36' foundation dug & poured for my addition
It was $5k total
Approx 12' along one side bordered the existing foundation, so there wasn't anything poured along that length
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
DIY staff

Adding a small addition.

I mean--make sure that the contractor has the appropriate licenses and insurance---

That he or she will provide you with lien wavers for concrete purchases and any subs that work for him.

You always want to make sure that the money you give a contractor is used to pay for materials and services on your property---for example, the concrete supplier can come after you for payment if the contractor takes your money,but fails to pay them.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM   #8

Adding a small addition.

scuba Dave thanks for the est on the foundation, thought the price given me was real high and I'll double check on all this as time gets a bit closer (just waiting for final drawings).

Oh Mike, found what you were taking about on an internet search, and will follow up on this info as well.

Can't thank you both enough.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #9

Adding a small addition.

It would seem clear we have a spammer in the forum, if any mods are watching I'd say this guy can go on the banned list.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
DIY staff

Adding a small addition.

If you see a spammer or other nasty post click on the red exclamation symbol--Tell the mods and they will take care of it.--Mike--
Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #11

Adding a small addition.

Quote:
If you see a spammer or other nasty post click on the red exclamation symbol--Tell the mods and they will take care of it.--Mike--

Thanks, didn't know how it worked here but the offending post is gone.