Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #1

Share |

Ace - Helpful Hardware Man

I'm new here so I'm not sure this is in the best place for this but here goes. I stopped by my local Ace Hardware store and found a bunch of cordless stuff on 2 endcaps. Sign said that I could get 25% off if I signed up for card so I did. That was last week-I'm retired on a pension tied to stock market and you all know what is happening. I decided that if I wanted to continue to live in a lifestyle anywhere near what I have now (like eating, paying bills, etc.) I had better not purchase things I don't really need. I already have a couple of old corded drills that work so I went to return the cordless and that is when I was shown that my receipt said that the drill was a "final sale - no return". There was no sign indicating the drill was a clearance item or final sale or anything other than normal sale. I complained to the staff that there should at least be a sign telling customers that these items were final sale items. They said they couldn't help but the manager called me back in the evening and agreed that he should have put up a sign that these items were final sale items. He said he couldn't take it back but would put up a sign about final sale status. So I opened the box and the instructions are dated 2000 so it appears I just bought an 8 year old cordless drill. So watch out for that Helpful Hardware Man.

Tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
the Musigician

that is not right Tiredman. go here http://www.acehardware.com/helpdesk/...veQuestion=yes
and tell them your problem. if there was no sign on display, they should certainly give you a refund and chastise that manager. just tell them exactly what you told us here. i've NEVER had a bad experience at ace and this surprises me immensely.

DM

PS please let us know what happens?

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

I have no problem with a no-returns policy on tools (once opened), but they need to advertise it very clearly. If you opened it, I don't feel it is right to assume that you can return it unless it is defective...Which due to its age it might be.

They should never be selling cordless tools that are eight years old. I would contact Ace Hardware's corporate office as well as the manufacturer of the tool, and ask them to address the situation.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
(the original)

If that 2000 date on the instructions is a "copyright" date, it only applies to the printed material which would be the same for every year that model was produced. The tool itself isn't necessarily 8 yrs old, and I doubt they'd let something like that sit in dead stock inventory for that long before clearancing, but you never know. If it really is that old I'd be concerned about the batteries. I suppose you could contact the manufacturer or a service center with the serial numbers and find the actual age if you're really interested.

I agree you should have been clearly informed about the no return policy and should contact corporate. I think Ace's normal policy is 30 days for any reason.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments: I contacted the national site and got an apology that there was no sign indicating that the items were final sale/no return items. After followup saying drill was old (serial no. 2002----) I was told All of our Ace stores are independently owned and operated and it is up to that store owner/manager the autonomy to choose which products to sell @ their store. National site is sending me $5.00 gift certificate. Since it appears I had no options I used the drill and the battery seems adequate. Drove 18 screws and and drilled like number of holes. Died but recharged enough in an hour to finish job with additional 3 holes and drives. I still say watch out for that Helpful Hardware Man at Ace Hardware.
Tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #6

Should have been able to drive more screws and holes than that. Sounds like the battery is toast unless you didn't fully charge it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
DIYer

This is an old thread but I should point out that ACE isn't even a chain or a franchise really, it's just a sort of marketing co-op. We have a ACE hardware locally that mostly is a just a gun store, not a hardware store! The store has lots guns than it does hardware.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
motivator

All the Ace Hdwre. stores closed around here recently.

Speedball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drills, general