Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #1

Share |

Absolutely first class opening ceremony

Man, that was a great opening ceremony in Beijing. Them guys spared no expence on pyrotechnics. The Chinese did invent gunpowder, so it's only fitting that they use it as part of their celebrations. But, man, there was so much fire in the air over that stadium at times you had trouble seeing the pyrotechnics because of all the smoke.

The only part I thought was kinda hokey was when they raised the Olympic flag. Obviously there's no wind inside the stadium, so the thing went up the pole as limp as a wet rag until it got to the top and started waving. A close up of the Chinese and Olympic flags showed that there was an air jet (must been inside the flag pole) blowing on them to get them to wave in the wind. Not a biggie, but I think it woulda been acceptable to support the flags so they hung limp, but outstretched rather than making them wave by making fake wind.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-08-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Nestor -

I saw the same thing with the flag and also thought the pole was perforated near the top and pressurized. - Typical Chinese attention to details where they are important.

The combination of scope, artistry, planning and technology was impressive. I liked the 270' LED screen they danced on, turned 90 degrees and raised. Also how to get 280 people to run around on a field with no markings and go from perfect moving circles to looking like flying birds?

It was totally impressive, well pulled off and scarry at the same time.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

Look at it another way: with 1.4 billion people in China, you first got the impression that they were all there! Thus recruiting would not have been a problem, but getting them to that level of precision would have been huge.

I can't get my head around some of the numbers: Sydney 2000: $6 billion.
Athens 2004: $12 billion...Beijing 2008: $44 billion!!!!!

It's amazing how far $44 billion will go when some costs are so low...Some might expect a top-notch ceremony for half of that!
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
I can't get my head around some of the numbers: Sydney 2000: $6 billion. Athens 2004: $12 billion...Beijing 2008: $44 billion!!!!!
Yeah, but there's some differences there.

Greece kinda went overboard on the spending considering the Olympics started in Greece. They spent so much money that they're grandkids grandkids are still going to be paying for the 2004 Olympics.

To the Chinese, this isn't just an Olympiad. They've said that this will be their "coming out" party. They isolated themselves from the rest of the world for decades, and they realize that that wasn't one of Mao's better ideas. Now they want to resume normal relations with the rest of the world, and so it's a really significant milestone to them.

We hosted the Pan American Games in Winnipeg a few years ago. Prior to the games, the local TV stations and newspapers were advertising for volunteers to host visiting athletes, their families, judges, visiting dignitaries and government officials (who were supposed to represent their governments). I expect the same call for volunteers probably went out in Beijing for local Beijingers to put up the families of Olympic athletes and judges. My guess is that Chinese businessmen were falling over themselves to host visiting dignitaries and government officials because that would give them direct access to potential international customers. After all, a company that makes light bulbs can also make traffic lights, and a company that makes widgets in China might also want to sell those widgets in the US, Germany and Australia.

The Chinese aren't ignoring the commercial opportunities presented by so many important international dignitaries and elected government officials being in their country for 3 weeks, you can count on that.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #5

Nestor -

You said it all about the "coming out party" after many years of isolation and lack of exposure to the world.

For 9 out of the last 10 centuries, China had the highest
"Gross National Product (GNP)" in the world, according to the TV.

When I was there as a representative for company trying to sell to the Chinese, I was still their GUEST and they paid for everything (food, transportation, entertainment, etc.) beyond my hotel room and air fare. They are even much more hospitable than the Europeans, which is in contrast to American companies where "pedders" are expected to pay for everything and more. - They look at the big picture of making money and not buying cheap and saving money.

i was in Kunming (proper sp?), which was the base of the "flying Tigers" against Japan in WWII. It was amazing how we were treated what they wanted to do for us. I had to spend an extra 2 days to see the local sites, which screwed up everything, but worth it.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Nestor -

Also how to get 280 people to run around on a field with no markings and go from perfect moving circles to looking like flying birds?
Threaten to beat them and imprison their families?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #7

Jerry -

I made an error - the 280 was actually 2800 perforners just for one act. There were actually over 15,000 performers, all of which only participated in only one part because of the critical screening and intensive training required. They were fed, housed and trained because they had enough education and talent to qualify for the regiment. In addition, I imagine the families were also given extra benefits if they from outer provinces. That si normal since families are important in China.

Missing a few zeros in a number is forgivable if you have really seen the scope and understand the real situation, but unforgiveable if you have been there several times.

What cave do you live it??? Now, how do you propose to put up a fence around it to protect yourself when you have to idea about the facts, conditions and activities?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #8

It goes without saying that there ARE human rights abuses in China.

But, truth is, there were human rights abuses in America too.

And Canada. And Russia, and North Korea and in Rwanda and Darfur and Japan during WWII and Germany during WWII and darn near everywhere in the world at one time or another. The Russians starved the Ukrainians, the Japanese abused the Chinese and Koreans, the Turks decimated the Armenians, the Spanish wiped out the Incas and the Romans did the Christians.

But, there will come a day when the people who take the reins of government in China will be the same people that protested at Tienanmen Square, the same ones that stood in front of tanks and fled from bullets. That's just history repeating. Might eventually succumbes to right because we all know what's right regardless of how much propoganda you dress it up with.

But, it's just a bugger to put up with might while waiting for right to prevail.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
Money Saver

I enjoyed it even though I thought it was too long.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
sellerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #10

Too long?! I thought it was great although I think too much emphasis is put on the opening ceremony, it is after all just a way to show off.
I don't understand why people have been complaining about the faked footage. They made the fireworks work it just wasn't possible to fly over them to film. Why would anyone mind that?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote