Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,212

ABC Warehouse - Not enough cash for a return?

My daughter and her husband returned a computer to ABC Warehouse, where they bought it 3 or 4 days ago. They'd had trouble with it already and just wanted their money back.

They called ahead to make sure they could bring it back and were told they could, since it's been less than 10 days, if they bring the receipt.

So they got there and everything was fine, but the cashier at the returns desk said they don't have enough money in the store (they paid cash for it - $540 with tax) to reimburse them, but they'll "call when they have enough". Then my daughter and her husband would have to drive back to the store to get the money.

My daughter asked for the store manager and he told her the same thing, "we'll call you when we have enough money".

She wasn't happy about that and told him about a friend of theirs who had purchased something at the same store and returned it in less than 10 days and was also told that the store didn't have enough money and would call her when they did.

That person got the call from the store a few days later and when she went to get her money, she was told, "sorry, it's been more than 10 days".

My daughter recognized that this was the same thing that was happening to her and her husband, so she told the store manager, "this sounds like a scam".

She said the guys' eyes opened wide and he said, "we can give you $400 cash today and credit your debit card the other $140".

She accepted that 'deal', which may or may not have been a mistake. But they'll find out within 2 days if the money shows up in their account.

Has anyone else ever heard of a major store like that not having enough cash on hand for returns? I've never heard of such a thing.

Barb

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
My daughter and her husband returned a computer to ABC Warehouse, where they bought it 3 or 4 days ago. They'd had trouble with it already and just wanted their money back.

They called ahead to make sure they could bring it back and were told they could, since it's been less than 10 days, if they bring the receipt.

So they got there and everything was fine, but the cashier at the returns desk said they don't have enough money in the store (they paid cash for it - $540 with tax) to reimburse them, but they'll "call when they have enough". Then my daughter and her husband would have to drive back to the store to get the money.

My daughter asked for the store manager and he told her the same thing, "we'll call you when we have enough money".

She wasn't happy about that and told him about a friend of theirs who had purchased something at the same store and returned it in less than 10 days and was also told that the store didn't have enough money and would call her when they did.

That person got the call from the store a few days later and when she went to get her money, she was told, "sorry, it's been more than 10 days".

My daughter recognized that this was the same thing that was happening to her and her husband, so she told the store manager, "this sounds like a scam".

She said the guys' eyes opened wide and he said, "we can give you $400 cash today and credit your debit card the other $140".

She accepted that 'deal', which may or may not have been a mistake. But they'll find out within 2 days if the money shows up in their account.

Has anyone else ever heard of a major store like that not having enough cash on hand for returns? I've never heard of such a thing.

Barb
Sounds like that's EXACTLY what they were going to do!
Good job on your daughter for recognizing what was going on.
With that being said, she should be careful they don't charge her debit card for the other 400! Instead of the credit.
Not out of the realm of possibility IMO.
She should speak with her bank about the situation.

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

We hadn't thought of them doing that. Thanks! I'll tell her to keep an eye on it.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

Wow - thanks for the heads up. Never would have thought about the older than 10 days thing.

Kudos to your daughter for recognizing this.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Happened to me at Radio Shack. Used debit card for a police scanner, but volume was horrible so I brought it back. Said they had to reimburse me in cash because of debit card purchase, but did not have enough in register. Manager wasn't there so I left. I went to another RS store at the mall and they credited my card no problem.
Jtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 524

I had this happen many years ago at a small sears outlet store. They wrote me a company check. It was one which only sold tools and it was a sunday morning. So i would have asked for a check if i was you.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post

Barb
Most retail stores keep as little cash on hand as possible. For the obvious reasons. There is usual procedure to empty the registers at a certain point. Think about it, you really would not want any store swelling cash would you? People sitting on mounds of cash tend to be suspect in my opinion.

But one handing you cash and promise to deposit to your debit card would make me very nervous.

If this was a cash transaction to be disputed, how did the weird store end up with knowledge of a working debit card?

Last edited by user1007; 06-28-2013 at 07:42 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #8

In my area it is customary for the returns desk to give credit for returns in the exact manner that you paid. Cash for cash. If your receipt says debit, then it goes back on the debit card. No receipt? ? then a store gift card is what you get.

But Barb did say that her daughter paid cash. It is strange that a store with large dollar items wouldn't keep some sort of float in the office safe.

I wouldn't worry about the debit though..the credit should show as an immediate deposit
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
bbo

that's why I try to pay with a CC in cases where I may possibly making a return.

Disputing a charge is very easy in most cases.

very easy to pay off my CC with cash in account. I seldom have more than 50$ on me at any given time.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
DIY Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post

I wouldn't worry about the debit though..the credit should show as an immediate deposit
You would think.
The retailer told her 2 days!
I'd be watching my account closely for a period of time.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
You would think.
The retailer told her 2 days!
I'd be watching my account closely for a period of time.
Oops ..I missed that part..Yes, a red flag indeed
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtom View Post
Happened to me at Radio Shack. Used debit card for a police scanner, but volume was horrible so I brought it back. Said they had to reimburse me in cash because of debit card purchase, but did not have enough in register. Manager wasn't there so I left. I went to another RS store at the mall and they credited my card no problem.
If it was first thing in the morning, or on a slow day, yes there would not be enough cash in the registers. Now with everyone doing credit type payments, you are seeing less cash transactions for the majority.

Stores will not give anyone an idea when to return, because they do not want people to know that they may have a large quantity of cash on hand, which in turns makes them an easy target.

On some days when we would do large cash transactions during the day, we would make two cash drops at the bank, so that we did not have more than $110 in the registers.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote