Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Share |
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Should I put on a stop-payment on the credit-card that I signed ?

I have simply been ripped off, yes, but what to do now ?

Call them and speak with them again about it ?

When given the bill I was dumbfounded and argued unsuccessfully, now perhaps I should put a stop-payment ?

topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


If you signed it, the credit company probably will not put it in dispute. You were probably charged for an emergency call. Call and argue it. Did you ask for an estimate before they started work?


Last edited by jerryh3; 12-06-2008 at 06:40 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


How many valves did they replace?
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
If you signed it, the credit company probably will not put it in dispute. You were probably charged for an emergency call. Call and argue it. Did you ask for an estiamate before they started work?
No I didn't ask for an estimate, but I NEVER expected 45 minutes of work to cost $574 !?!?!?!
topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
How many valves did they replace?
Is that even relevant ? These things cost like $20 each; perhaps less for a plumber buying in bulk.

They'd have had to replace 25 of them for it to be relevant.

They replaced 5 by the way to answer the question.
topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


did you get an itemized reciept? if so, it'll tell you exactly how much the valves were. i once tried to help this lady for an hour on the phone, just trying to be nice and save her the $$$ but finally had to do a home call. i was done in 30 seconds. (honest) but i told her before i left home i had to charge her regardless what the problem was. she paid and was happy. 574 for 5 valves is a bit steep, IMHO, but i can honestly say i would never install 25 valves for $74.00....... even if it only took 45 min.

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
did you get an itemized reciept? if so, it'll tell you exactly how much the valves were. i once tried to help this lady for an hour on the phone, just trying to be nice and save her the $$$ but finally had to do a home call. i was done in 30 seconds. (honest) but i told her before i left home i had to charge her regardless what the problem was. she paid and was happy. 574 for 5 valves is a bit steep, IMHO, but i can honestly say i would never install 25 valves for $74.00....... even if it only took 45 min.

DM
Receipt is something like:
"1- Inspect pressuretrol
2- Replace rad valves"
Total $574

So, no, I did not, and I should have had them itemize it in great detail. He simply said something like "its the labor" when I balked at the amount.

The labor ? U simply remove them by turning them, and put another one on. Simple. A kid can do it.
topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by topfloornoheat View Post
Is that even relevant ? These things cost like $20 each; perhaps less for a plumber buying in bulk.

They'd have had to replace 25 of them for it to be relevant.

They replaced 5 by the way to answer the question.
The reason I ask is to try and figure how much they had in supplies. Thermostatic valves cost between $50-$80 for the better ones.

Consider labor and mark up of the parts, the service call fee that covers my time to the job. If it's an emergency then there is another service charge (which includes weekends, nights and holidays or has to take me off another job)

If there were 2 people for an hour plus the service charge, plus the 5 valves it would about $400-$500 in my neck of the woods.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by topfloornoheat View Post
The labor ? U simply remove them by turning them, and put another one on. Simple. A kid can do it.
i'm not gonna say it, i'm not gonna say it.....

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
The reason I ask is to try and figure how much they had in supplies. Thermostatic valves cost between $50-$80 for the better ones.

Consider labor and mark up of the parts, the service call fee that covers my time to the job. If it's an emergency then there is another service charge (which includes weekends, nights and holidays or has to take me off another job)

If there were 2 people for an hour plus the service charge, plus the 5 valves it would about $400-$500 in my neck of the woods.
They did NOT install thermostatic valves, they installed Gorton Valves, which average about $15.75 or so. Perhaps cheaper for a plumber who may buy in bulk, I don't know.
topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MdangermouseM View Post
i'm not gonna say it, i'm not gonna say it.....

DM
Say what, that "... then I should have done it myself ..." ?

Well, yeah, of course I should have. I'm just ranting cause I'm out $574 for a guy to come here and replace some valves with his bare hands on radiators that are in the wide open, he didn't have to cut anything, weld anything, use tools, go for parts, turn anything off and on, etc... he just removed a valve and put on a new one a few times. I'm just p%^&ed at myself for allowing this to happen.
topfloornoheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by topfloornoheat View Post
Well, yeah, of course I should have come here first because all you cool guys could have helped me save all that money!
see above.... after all, this IS a DIY site! =o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfloornoheat View Post
I'm just p%^&ed at myself for allowing this to happen.
i would be too!

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 24,509
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Hate to tell you this.
But, I would have charged MORE for those same 5 valves.

Wholesale cost has no bearing on retail price, like you may think.

Its $156.00 for me to come out and evaluate a residential steam
system.
Thats just to tell you whats wrong. No repair included.

Its $90.00 for me to swap outl 1 Hoffman 1A vent in a rad.
$60.00 each additional vent.
And it doesn't take long to swap out a air vent.
I charge to MAKE profit, I don't just WORK for labor.

Yep, I'm flat rate.

You were not ripped off.
You should have asked for an upfront price.

I give a price upfront, and its up to my customer to say yes or no.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North of Detroit
Posts: 42
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Did you have heat b4 he arrived? Do you have heat now? If no then yes= not over charged
pipefitter636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,802
Default

$574 for 45 minutes of work replacing radiator valves ?!?!?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Hate to tell you this.
But, I would have charged MORE for those same 5 valves.

Wholesale cost has no bearing on retail price, like you may think.

Its $156.00 for me to come out and evaluate a residential steam
system.
Thats just to tell you whats wrong. No repair included.

Its $90.00 for me to swap outl 1 Hoffman 1A vent in a rad.
$60.00 each additional vent.
And it doesn't take long to swap out a air vent.
I charge to MAKE profit, I don't just WORK for labor.

Yep, I'm flat rate.

You were not ripped off.
You should have asked for an upfront price.

I give a price upfront, and its up to my customer to say yes or no.
You can get those kinds of prices in Lancaster? So, if he knew what he needed done, would it of only been the 90+240? Is that labor only?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where are the "Carpenters" ???? wrldruler Carpentry 14 09-11-2008 07:37 AM
HVAC contractor ripoff! sekntonone HVAC 8 04-05-2008 07:15 AM
Tried replacing doorbell....now it doesn't work. ConstantChange Electrical 9 11-18-2007 10:12 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.