Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Share |

18 Year Old Looking For DIY Ideas.

Hey everybody, I originally posted this in the "introductions" forum, but apparently it was too much of an introduction to post there, so I'm re-posting it:

I'm an 18 year old, first year university student. I was thinking about my future today, and I realized, although I fully intend to get a good education and a decent job, I don't want to expel most of my life resources on intensive education to get an intensive job. I don't think being a doctor, lawyer, or professor is my calling.

I'm more the kind of guy who'd rather get an interesting and rewarding job with a more easy going schedule, such as a therapsit or a marrage counsellor, and spend free time pursuing wealth in other ways.

From what I know, DIY is a great way of pursuing wealth in other ways. You don't get a paycheck, but you do get a boost in your lifestyle, a feeling of peace and pride in you work, and the opportunity help out your friends and family.

When I own a home, I'd like to have a big room in my basement devoted to things like:
-Brewing my own beer and liquor.
-Growing my own tea leaves.
-Tailoring repairs in my family's clothes.
-Making my own incense. (incense is similar to scented candles)
-Making my own perfumes and colognes.

I was also thinking I'd love to change my own oil, air filters, and windshield wipers on my car. I don't know how to do these things yet, but it just seems kinda silly to pay someone else to do it when it's quick and easy to do it yourself.

Anyway, I thought I'd like to share my thoughts to a like-minded group of people and hear what others suggest I could also do to make DIY part of my life.

What are your thoughts?

Stonemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #2

I love that you're only 18 and thinking this far ahead. You're way ahead of most people your age.

Registering on this forum was a smart thing to do. You'll learn a LOT from the moderators, pro's and some of the guys/gals who really know what they're doing.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #3

try this: Man builds Solar Powered Cabin, under $2000 cash.

build a solar powered cabin..

(ok this is my life long goal) lol
ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Good on you! All your goals are achievable.

Here's my advice:

- Borrow and/or invest in the right tools to get the job done. Don't waste time trying to make-do with the wrong tools. If I had a dollar for every minute I wasted trying to accomplish something without the right tool...

- It WILL take you longer to do something you've never done the first time you do it. (I've never changed a car radiator before. A shop could have done it in 1.5 - 3 hours - it took me 6 - but I did it).

- Do your research. Go to the library, read lots of books. Ask people to help you (any car parts place will show you how to change your wipers). Ask lots of SPECIFIC questions HERE. Without this community, I couldn't have done 1/10 the things I've gotten done in the last three years.

- Last of all. JUST DO IT. You will never get anything done until you put on your big-boy/girl-pants and try. The more things you try the more you will accomplish. The more things you accomplish the more confident you will get.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #5

The first step is learning and it looks like you are in the right place! The more things you learn how to do on your own the better you will get at them. Practice makes perfect.
alongston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

That's brilliant. I wish I had the motivation to live such a self-sufficient lifestyle.

If you want to go the whole way, there are people who have built their own homes, that run entirely independently, so they never have to pay gas companies, water companies etc. I saw an example on 'grand designs'.

I think this is the episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq1yVsjG1M

It might give you some inspiration.

amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote