12" Snow And 9F This Morning - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

12" snow and 9F this morning

combined with a high tide in the street at noon...this is serious emergency generator weather...and the main reason I have it wired into the castles CB panel to cover the show...

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,272

Wow, and I thought we had it bad here in Ohio! Nothing compared to what you are facing, biggles.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

burr...that does not look pleasant.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

but having a genny makes it worth it its all a routine as you guys know being owners...adapt I would take a Sandy hit before one of those tornados out there..see the 2 houses in the pix ..they had the backs facing the water ripped open when Sandy's surge hit them..i got the water but not the force...both are condemned water,gas and power have been removed..both had no flood coverage.... front of my place....

Last edited by biggles; 01-04-2014 at 10:28 AM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,204

Well, we had 9 degrees this morning but only about 3 inches of snow yesterday. Today is 30 and sunny. Typical winter stuff in this part of WV.

Nice-looking house, but there's no way I'd live anywhere in New York, let alone on Long Island. To each his own, I guess.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 524

been pretty cold here the last couple days. Helps out at the ski slopes for snow making.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 780

I like your house. Everything looks so neat. Do you get birds in the bird house on the side? If I had my choice of places to live it'd be the east coast.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 332

Indiana checking in.

I like your attitude toward your whole-house generator. My problem is that I have two breaker boxes FULL of 20 and 30 amp circuits due to our large old house being 100% electric radiant heat.

I'd need a generator the size of the one at the hospital for the kind of wattage it would take to heat this place.

Still, prices are coming down, and if I put in a genset I might be able to install a supplemental gas furnace without much trouble (I'll have to have a gas line put in for the generator anyway - which the gas utility will do for free).

I have a question - Do you ever get "generator guilt?" Two years ago our entire neighborhood lost power for 2 weeks and for some reason our one little section of 4 houses had power the whole time. It was in a way uncomfortable to sit in warm luxury and watch our neighbors freeze.
imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

biggies -

Those huge mega weather events sure do have some dramatic and long term effects and long recovery times.

in January I went to a training class for loss verification for the government (recovery and not relief) in Atlanta for Katrina effects. I finally got home to MN in June after going between Atlanta, New Orleans and Gulfport. I saw the results 7 days a week (8 to 12 hours a day) for 5 months. This started 5 months after Katrina occurred. The big problem was the lack of good basic utility systems and the low quality of construction (shacks that had homes built around them) and no real codes. - It was like camping out in a motel room with no where to eat unless you could find a recovery base where you could get food without being in a very, very long wait at one of the fast (really very slow) food places that was open and could find employees.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

It's very sad that Katrina did so much damage, it could have been prevented or atleast reduced greatly. Years later, I don't see anything prepared for such huge weather events and the next disaster is just a matter of time.
hilarytg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 332

I agree that the next 'big one' could come as soon as next week. The climate may or may not be warming, but it is obvious that weather extremes are much more prevalent now than anytime in my 50 years on this planet.

Why communities are as well prepared as they are to fight wars with drug dealers but unprepared for natural, inevitable disaster is a mystery to me.

It really shows how badly compromised our national and local agenda are by corporate money, lobbyists for the handcuff and prison door manufacturers and just plain greed. A crying shame is what it is.

Advertisement

imautoparts is offline   Reply With Quote