Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Share |

Yurtgirl and the Beau

Hi folks,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I found this message board a few months ago and am soooo happy I did.

I'm Yurtgirl (i have a yurt so we can camp but still sleep in a bed) and the Beau is my partner. He owns a ranch house with a full unfinished basement built in the mid 60s. I moved in 5 yrs ago and have been wanting to redo the whole thing since day 1. But, due to finances and not wanting to borrow money, we are doing things as we can afford.

Our first project was turning a 3 season sun room into a 4 season tv room and library for the Beau. We installed a gas fireplace, painted walls and ceiling and installed vinyl flooring. Family gave us 2 thumbs up so we must have done something right

Our second project was to paint the bedroom and add bamboo laminate flooring. The beau surprised me one day and it had new artwork on the walls and a beautiful comforter and shams. Not bad for a guy with no sense of style. I gave him 2 thumbs up.

Our third project, well, it's my baby, really, will be the kitchen/living room.
I've been wanting to open up the wall between the two rooms so the place doesn't seem so small. I found out its a load bearing wall and because of info I read on this board, I'm getting a pro to come help with the design and installation of the load bearing beam. I purchased online design software and have totally recreated our new kitchen/LR and with the Beau's approval (and the go ahead from the pro) we are going to start in the next couple weeks.

I was lucky to receive cabinets from my sister. She tore them out to make way for her new custom kitchen. The cabinets are solid wood and in great shape. With a little sanding and paint they will be put up in our new space. That was a huge savings for us. I'm all about reusing what I can and have cruised thru our local Habitat for Humanity store for stuff to use in our place. The new cabinets will give us triple the amount of counter space and that makes me very happy as i love to cook but find that doing so with only 3 ft of counter space is frustrating.

Anyway, I'll be cruising this site for lots of advice and hope to only ask when I cannot find anything specific to my needs.

Yurtgirl and the Beau

yurtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Yurtgirl and the Beau

Welcome!

And

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Yurtgirl and the Beau

Greetings and Welcome to the site.