Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 AM   #1

Share |

Yep, I'm here... don't say I didn't warn you

Hi

I'm an artist by trade (or is it by life?) but recently realized that I have wasted so many years I could have been making things I needed or just wanted. So I came online and found this place now that I have some projects I want to fearlessly tackle. I hope I can get some good info, and maybe share something myself.

Some things I will be building (or attempting to) in the coming weeks and months:

Hydroponic deep water culture systems for rooting cuttings (cloning) and growing vegetables and herbs (the kind we eat, not smoke) in a confined area for indoor, year-round gardening. If I can get through one crop I'd love to try more advanced systems with aeroponics, NFT, and flood an drain systems.

Light Fixtures for growing the plants. Starting with CFL reflector fixture and may end up with metal halide and HPS eventually depending on $$ of running and setting up.

USB or WiFi driven monitoring/data logging system for ambient environmental conditions (temp, humidity), water quality (ph, ppm, temp, etc). This will be for a few rooms in the house as well as the hydro setup. Not sure if I can pull this off but we'll see.

Setting up shelves in my new home office (repurposed from my childhood bed made of pine)

Rain water collection system for watering the veg which eventually I want to add a reverse osmosis system to make my own drinking water.

An art easel. This will require many more tools but I would love to create my own easel and get back into more fine art. Too much digital.

Frames for posters, artwork, photographs, some wood, some plastic.

Renderfarm servers. Been wanting to do this for a while along with a file server for my Macs. I do a lot of 3D work with maya, mental ray and RenderMan and really need to setup render nodes and a file server. Maybe Mac, maybe Linux.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head. Glad to be here and hope I can learn a lot from everyone without pissing you off too much!

eyedrinkvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
DIY staff

Welcome---You should find this place very helpful and satisfying.

I also suggest you look at some of our sister sites (listed at the bottom of the page---

There is a woodworking site and a craft forum-----Both should touch on your interests.----Mike----

Old 08-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #3

Hi Mike

Already registered to both and posted questions. Lots to do , but nothing until my checks come in. I'm in a perpetual "planning phase".
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
DIY staff

Learn to scrounge!!!!!

There is an amazing amount of free supplies if you have more time than money---

Look at the 'forestry and milling' section in Woodworking talk---the post 'what's in your spalt pile?' is amazing.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Will do. Certain things I need to buy though because the chances of finding them used is either nil or the quality will be crap. I.e. I highly doubt I can find used or discarded organic plant nutrients and enzymes lying around, though I may be able to locate some scrap metal.

I have no problem repurposing and love the idea and possibilities. I had some cheap plastic plant pots from the hardware store that didn't drain right because they sat flat. Instead of scrapping them, or buying "feet", I stuck thumbtacks in the bottom of the pots i also cut up old window screens to put in the pot bottoms which the thumbtacks held snugly in place so my inorganic substrate wouldn't fall out of the holes. not the most elegant but they are quite functional and the roots can breathe now and the plants are thriving.

I also made some new shelves out of old shelves after finding a few old brass brackets in the garage to use as a cloning shelf, and made some shelves out of an old bed frame I sanded and stained.

I'll check the thread now though. I'm sure there's good advice from scrounging connoisseurs that I am unaware of.

Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Learn to scrounge!!!!!
Look at the 'forestry and milling' section in Woodworking talk---the post 'what's in your spalt pile?' is amazing.
can't find the thread. there's one called "show me your spalt pile" of aging wood for fungal veins. didn't see anything on scrounging for parts though.

It's not like I need to spend tons of money, but with 2 kids I can't just run out and spend. At least I'm trying to be decent :D

My town doesn't have much in the way of junkyards, scrapyards, etc. I can probably get most of what I want done for $200 + tools. Great thing about the hydro stuff is everything is plastic and reusable if you maintain it.

Anyway, I'll have a little time today. Maybe I'll call up a few people and see if they have any junk lying around they don't want.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #7

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #8

thanks Dave.