What Do I Do? - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What do I do?

I've been laid off since last year this time & my furnace has gone out, I'm a female who is not good with this kind of diy project, but I would like to know how much work is involved in taking out an old furnace, original to the home. (my house is 90+yrs) Also what kind of price am I looking at the replace it with a newer model. I have 3,100sq ft & it is gas. Can you help me with the information I need? There is a habitat supply store in my area. Thank you for whatever helpful information you can provide.

Advertisement

smaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What do I do?

Where are you located ?
What kind of furnace ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
smaye (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

What do I do?

I am in Indianapolis, I am not sure what kind, I will check & let you know
smaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

What do I do?

You may check into the federal weatherization program, if low income. Its new and seems like it may help your situation.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

What do I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
You may check into the federal weatherization program, if low income. Its new and seems like it may help your situation.
Good idea, except it's not new, and here, there's now a 12 to 14 MONTH waiting list (since the new 'administration' got in office.)

DM
Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Woodtick

Rewards Points: 25

What do I do?

There are a couple of safety concerns to replacing your furnace. If your existing furnace was very old (probably) the exhaust flue might not accomadate a newer furnace. And at least would need to be inspected. Is there a Habitat store in your area? Or any Recycled builders store? They may not have a furnace. But more importantly they may be able to hook you up with an experienced HVAC guy who might be willing to help. Another option (remote) would be to contact a local HVAC contractor. Explain your situation and see if they have any suggestions. While they routinely remove old furnaces, they sometimes pull a newer model when homeowners want to upgrade. Most contractors would not be willing to reinstall these, due to liability. But may be willing to provide one and you would have to find your own installer. maybe one of the contractors would be willing to do a free inspection of your existing unit and walk you through some of the safety issues. Good luck and keep us posted. It would be helpfull to know what kind help you find.

Advertisement

ccnvchris is offline   Reply With Quote