Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

we might be in trouble...

Time for a REALLY long intro. My family is in the midsts of moving 90 miles for my Dad's job, which will help all of us. But nothing is ever that easy...The size of our family prevents us from just "moving" and being done with it. (7 total, Dad, Mom, Me and 4 siblings plus pets.) For months we've been looking for a place that is 1. in our price range, 2. large enough, and 3. owned by someone that wont have to have cash on the spot. (we have to sell our old house first) But FINALLY we found it!! Its a old Sears and Roebuck mail order house that was set in 1912. The place has been empty for about 10 to 15 years with the odd grandkid living for there a few months every few years. the roof was hailed about 3 years ago but the people that own it had the insurance money and worked out a deal with us that we would put the roof on and other "minor" repairs and we could live there rent free for a year with the option to buy at the end of the year. Great huh? Well, the roof is now the least of the problems. They had started redoing the bathroom, had the tub in all nice and everything. except when we went down in the basement to run the gas line we saw a little water damage on the floorboards, we found a beautiful mess under the toilet where they had put down a cheap subfloor over the old hardwood and not hooked up the toilet right. Today we tore out most of the bathroom, walls and all and are starting over. We also have to do something with the basement because the walls are starting to cave in. And re-plumb all the water lines...and the list goes on
But I'm still glad we found it, its a cool house and I know someday it will be back to the way it should be.

thisoldhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoldhouse View Post
Time for a REALLY long intro. My family is in the midsts of moving 90 miles for my Dad's job, which will help all of us. But nothing is ever that easy...The size of our family prevents us from just "moving" and being done with it. (7 total, Dad, Mom, Me and 4 siblings plus pets.) For months we've been looking for a place that is 1. in our price range, 2. large enough, and 3. owned by someone that wont have to have cash on the spot. (we have to sell our old house first) But FINALLY we found it!! Its a old Sears and Roebuck mail order house that was set in 1912. The place has been empty for about 10 to 15 years with the odd grandkid living for there a few months every few years. the roof was hailed about 3 years ago but the people that own it had the insurance money and worked out a deal with us that we would put the roof on and other "minor" repairs and we could live there rent free for a year with the option to buy at the end of the year. Great huh? Well, the roof is now the least of the problems. They had started redoing the bathroom, had the tub in all nice and everything. except when we went down in the basement to run the gas line we saw a little water damage on the floorboards, we found a beautiful mess under the toilet where they had put down a cheap subfloor over the old hardwood and not hooked up the toilet right. Today we tore out most of the bathroom, walls and all and are starting over. We also have to do something with the basement because the walls are starting to cave in. And re-plumb all the water lines...and the list goes on
But I'm still glad we found it, its a cool house and I know someday it will be back to the way it should be.
I have seen a few of these house's. did the walls come in sections and they bolted them together? BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #3

no bolts that I've seen, it seems to be all lumber put together one piece at a time. I don't know that much about them, watched one hour long special and read one book. need to work on that...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the site.

Please be careful about that whole "live there with the option to buy". Sometimes it can work out, sometimes it won't. I have seen similar situations happen: Tenant works their butts off fixing up the place for a year. End of year, they approach the owner. The terms that the owner states for the option to buy are ridiculous and not affordable at all. Tenant is S.O.L. - Owner gets free work on their property.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #5

yeah, someone tried to pull that on us with another house. Luckily we didn't bite. We got everything about this house in black and white before we even looked at a hammer Thank you anyway