Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

total newbie, saying hi!

Newbie might have different meanings to different people, but let's say that in my case figuring out how to choose and install a kitchen faucet is a big accomplishment

My husband and I married pretty young and I stay home with our toddler and a baby on the way, so it makes economic sense for us to learn how to repair/renovate/improve/create on our own. I also just want the satisfaction of being able to get things done as _I_ want them to be done, rather than multiplying the cost of materials to have someone else do them sloppily. At least that's been my experience with paying for repairs so far =( . We don't own yet, we rent, but there are some things I'd like to fix/change just to make us happier with what we've got.

I'd really appreciate any reading recommendations about basic plumbing, basic carpentry, basic DIY skills in general. very very very basic (like: "...then you buy a screwdriver."), something you'd give a 10 year old

I'll have many questions in the future for sure!

Asma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

total newbie, saying hi!

Welcome to the forum Asma! There are a lot of us here, just like you. You know, wanting to do these things ourselves, either to make sure its done to our satisfaction, or to save money, or both. I am in the process of restoring my house, and before I bought it, I went to the local bookstore, and bought a book on home renovation. There are many of these books out there. Many of them will cover just about all the basics, as well as the big jobs too. Some of them are also full of photos, showing you step-by-step how you do these repairs. I would suggest to go to one of your local bookstores, and start looking through them. I am sure you'll find one you really like. To me, its worth it weight in gold.

Bofus

bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote