Spicing It Up - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Spicing it up

Hello! I just signed up and have been reading some great posts which I hope I can put to use in this old house, which really needs some character added!

Our house is an old inn which was built in the 1920ís. Itís spacious and solid but itís not very attractive. My husband and I replaced 22 windows last year and as I was touching them up, a few walker buyers suggested that we should have just started from scratch. lol, fortunately I got some encouraging support as well so I have kept on chugging.

Anyway, my current project is putting trim around a pass through window and door frame. I want to do something other than just case it picture frame style. I haven't seen too much on this topic, do you have any suggestions where I can look for ideas?

Thanks a bunch! And now Iíll go poke around some more

Advertisement

lasagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Spicing it up

Welcome!! Your house sounds like a great project!! Make sure to post lots of pics.

Advertisement

perpetualjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,362

Spicing it up

Sounds like a huge project. Have fun and, like perpetualjon said, post lots of pictures!

Welcome!
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Spicing it up

i don't like mitres on door frames either.... i do mine like this, (all 90s) albeit the tops will be larger on the rest, this one i had no choice because of the perimeter beam.
(the door was used and is temporary)

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Spicing it up-doortrim.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Spicing it up

Thank you for the welcomes! I will definitely have to post pics for advice. Most of the time I'm feeling like this:

Thanks for the pic DangerMouse! That's close to what I'm aiming for except maybe some crown on top. What did you use for that piece sitting across the verticals? I tried something like that but mine didn't look quite right.
lasagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Spicing it up

i created all the pieces from walnut from my woods. that's just a piece planed a tad bit thinner for effect then bullnose routed and screwed from the underside to the top piece, then that is screwed to the wall framing. all my trim and caseings and baseboards are going to be easily removable for painting and/or repairs, etc. and each piece is numbered/lettered as to location on wall.

DM

Advertisement

Last edited by DangerMouse; 02-25-2009 at 03:51 PM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote