Sometimes I Wish I Could Go To Construction School... - Introductions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
learning to do it right

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Ginette
Smile

Sometimes I wish I could go to construction school...

So ok, I love doing things myself around the house. But I do them by intinct and wish I had the knowledge.

Most times things turn out ok, but I hope to learn how to do them better than just ok. I want to learn to do things right.

My name is Ginette, I am a 47 yr old single mom of 4 living in Quebec City Canada. I bought this wonderful house 10 years ago. It was built in 1979 so it is starting to show signs of aging. I've had a few things done in the past by contractors but wow, the quality of the work was not quite there, so I want to learn to do more things on my own.

I am not completely helpless. I can change faucets (don't laugh), put in a wood (the real thing, not laminate) or ceramic floor, put up assorted shelfing and do amazing dry wall repairs. I love working with tools, I manage well with saws, drills and sanders. The only thing I don't touch is electrical repairs.

This fall, I have many projects I want to tackle. I need to do something about a basement window with a rotten bottom frame, I need to redo the plywood floor and one wall in the garden shed and I may need to replace drywall that was glued to concrete in the stairway leading to the basement.

Help anyone?

Ginette

Advertisement

Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
You can.

And you can also locate a smart old retired carpenter to not only help you at a very reasonable rate, but also teach you a lot at the same time.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,304

Welcome,Lots of good DIY'er here. You will fit right in.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
learning to do it right

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Ginette

Thanks for the welcome!

Finding someone to help out is so difficult around here. Construction is booming and anyone who knows anything about construction gets hired quickly on big building sites. Noone wants to come do the small repair jobs...

So I figure I can learn to do more...

Ginette
Ginette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Finding someone to help out is so difficult around here. Construction is booming and anyone who knows anything about construction gets hired quickly on big building sites. Noone wants to come do the small repair jobs...

So I figure I can learn to do more...

Ginette
there are lot's of books available that will help. There are lot's of people that will help you understand the books if you need help. There are lot's of people that will walk you through whatever you are doing if you need it.

just ask and ye shall receive.

pictures help a lot.

and if the projects you listed turned out well, I think you already possess the ability to be able to do the other projects.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote