Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Rookie DIY Lady from Toronto

Hi Everyone
I am entering the DIY world - really scary for me but fun at the same time. I took a handy person's course last fall at a local high school and decided to tackle some DIY projects. I was tired of having to pay someone for every project!

Last weekend I reglued tiles and regrouted some of my shower. Looks great! This weeknd I am trying to figure out if this project is too big for me. I have an existing wall oven that is being replaced but moved up so I need to see if I can build a new shelf or support for the oven. The old will have to be moved. I have hired a plumber nad electrician as I do know my limitations!

I look forward to chatting with people on this forum. It seems really friendly. I hope I will be able to make suggestions, not just ask questions.

It is relatively warm today in Toronto - +1C going up to 3-5C

Happy DIYing!

Pontiacgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Keep in mind that an oven shelf should have continuous support (2X4's) all the way to the floor. Look into pocket screws to add a shelf to an existing cabinet. If you plan other woodworking projects this tool will be invaluable.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

Thank you so much for that. I suspect once the old wall oven is out that is what I will find. I will hopefully just copy it. The 2x4s I assume are also used to screw the oven into.
Pontiacgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

no, just to support the weight of the oven to the floor. They go under the shelves. The oven gets screwed to the edge of the cabinet opening. You remove the doors to place the oven into the cavity.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Greetings and Welcome to the site.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote