Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Replacing a door & header on loadbearing wall

i am replacing a 60" sliding glass door with 72" French door in my unfinished basement. I will have to replace the header as well, since the current one is 12" too short. The wall is obviously load bearing, and i know i need to support the floor joists above, before ripping out the door and header. What i am having problems with, is trying to find where i can rent a set of house floor jacks... I haven't found anything yet and I don't want to buy a set.... does anyone have any ideas?

2ocnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 14

When I did my kitchen load bearing wall removal project, which involved an 11 foot long header, I temporarily supported the ceiling joists using two sets of doubled 2x10's supported by doubled 2x4's on either end. By careful measuring and cutting, I was able to install the supports tightly, allowing me to support the ceiling joists without using any jacks at all. I placed the supports approximately 2 feet away from the wall to be removed on either side. There was no detectable movement of the ceiling, no cracking of drywall, and no problems. Regardless of how you support the ceiling joists, make sure the base supporting the jacks or studs is sufficiently strong. I placed a 2x10 on the floor under the studs spanning three basement joists.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

thanks Daniel! i may look into doing that. sounds like a great alternative to renting/purchasing house floor jacks.
2ocnorb is offline   Reply With Quote