Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #1

Share |

renting my first townhouse

Hi. I have rented apartments before but I now rent a townhouse. The house is in good condition but some things need some TLC. I know the landlord should take care of these things, but he lives 7 hours away and if I can fix the small stuff myself and do it with out spending a lot of money why not do it?

Dplugge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dplugge View Post
Hi. I have rented apartments before but I now rent a townhouse. The house is in good condition but some things need some TLC. I know the landlord should take care of these things, but he lives 7 hours away and if I can fix the small stuff myself and do it with out spending a lot of money why not do it?
Because it's your LL's responsibility. Do not put one penny into capitol improvements toward the town-home unless you have a written agreement with the LL for some form of reimbursement. Generally, agreed upon items should be reimbursed at a pro-rated rate when you move out. HOWEVER, LL doesn't have to pay you one thin dime if you don't have a written agreement.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #3

As a landlord I don't want tenants making any capital repairs or changes - that is my responsibility. If a tenant comes to me and wants to do some work, we'll discuss and if I am comfortable with the scope of work and tenant's abilities I may agree and work out some arrangement.

Suggest you do nothing without first discussing with your landlord.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #4

Welcome to the Site !
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote