Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Share |

Renovating in France

Am helping english friend renovate a 200+ year old house in France. My expertise is electrical and plumbing so need help with carpentry, brickwork, insulation.

the_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #2

Renovating in France

We are waiting......

Welcome to the forums!

Gary

Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Busy DIYer

Renovating in France

Welcome. Keep the pictures coming.
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

Renovating in France

Hi,

Post and pictures are here.

Framing/insulating cathedral ceiling & new partition

Anyone have experience with 40ft high ceilings? 3ft stone walls?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Renovating in France

Welcome!!

Post some photos because they can reflerct what you are encountering in a place where construction is intended to be permanent and not what is normal in the U.S.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 11-10-2011 at 07:08 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #6

Renovating in France

Basically I need to

1. build a partition to separate the space with an insulated barrier in the granier/attic to convert into a living space on one side and garage on other.

Dimensions lower base ~40 ft, height, ~40 ft.

The new wall/framing will need to sit on a rock wall about ~3ft thick, it is made of large rocks (various composition, marble, lime, granite, etc) with a limestone mortar. (2nd photo)

The foundation, stone wall, is about 4 ft behind the large wooden A-frame. (1st photo) so there is nothing to directly connect a frame to except the roof.

How do you frame something of this size?

Wall needs to separate fumes, sounds from garage. The garage side will not be insulated.

Is it possible to use aluminium framing with polystyrene w/1/2" plasterboard backing?

or maybe build a big polystyrene wall from blocks and glue them together? somehow tie the ends to the roof? add plasterboard on after that?

2. insulate and seal the roof without going past the big beams, the beams are ~ 1 ft x ~ 1ft in profile. The roof is clay, "tuille", tiles.

i've read sealed versus ventilated attics but it would be nearly impossible to completely seal these clay tiles. is polystyrene/plasterboard a good way to go here?

this is cost sensitive project for some pensioners/retired people on limited income.

do the amish build barns this big? do they insulate them?
Attached Thumbnails
Renovating in France-img_0450_small.jpg   Renovating in France-img_0456_small.jpg  

Last edited by the_wanderer; 11-10-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

Renovating in France

any help? i hear the crickets..
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
the Musigician

Renovating in France

Okay, here's the deal.... you'll likely not get a whole lot of help here in the "Introductions" section.
Most of our members hang out in the sub-forums where they think they'll do the most good. Plumbing, Electric, etc.
Post your questions in Building and Construction, and you'll get all the help you need very quickly, I'm sure.

DM
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
STAFF

Renovating in France

I agree with DM, not everyone comes to the introduction section. Just a quick question to get started though, are you going with the post and beam construction?

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

Renovating in France

I have a few years experience doing restoration/rebuild work in France (heading back there again this summer). I've mostly done southern france though, and I am assuming based on the pitch of the roof that this is northern France.

I could give you some wild stabs in the dark based on the two pictures, but I'd suggest that you look into the REMPART organization. They are the umbrella organization for various restoration projects all across France. They basically help find financing and insurance for these different projects (one of which I work for). You couldn't get the work done by any individual project (they almost uniformly work on community owned buildings like castles and ruined villages), but it would be an excellent way to get in touch with a local artisan who is skilled in restoration and rebuilding traditional buildings. They could at the very least provide you with a good plan. Alot of the REMPART mason's speak english as well. They're often quite knowledgeable about local techniques and nuances. It would be a good start.

This is certainly the way to go if you want an old French house that still looks like an old french house but functions like a modern building. I've seen too many traditional french buildings ruined by modern "renovations" like cinder block and concrete.

Simon
SimonFromKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #11

Renovating in France

Hello and welcome to the DIY Chatroom. Thanks
agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #12

Renovating in France

Welcome!

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote