Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Introductions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

Re-siding a house

We live in Colorado and my husband and I recently purchased a home and we are thinking about residing it. My husband wants to put composite lap siding on top of the current siding, which is a composite 'panel' siding. There is no housewrap on the home. Is housewrap necessary given that we are placing siding on top of siding?
Thank you!
klsmith
klsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #2

Re-siding a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by klsmith View Post
We live in Colorado and my husband and I recently purchased a home and we are thinking about residing it. My husband wants to put composite lap siding on top of the current siding, which is a composite 'panel' siding. There is no housewrap on the home. Is housewrap necessary given that we are placing siding on top of siding?
Thank you!
klsmith
For me, I like to look at everything, so taking the old off always appeals a bit more to me.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Re-siding a house

In most cases one of the draw backs to siding over any other siding is all the window and door trim will need to be built out first.
I personaly would use the house wrap between the two sidings.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #4

Re-siding a house

It's also a good opportunity to address moisture issues if you remove the old siding. Rotten boards, poorly flashed windows and doors are not uncommon. Siding over siding just covers it up. Taking off the old siding gives you the opportunity to fix it. It is also a great opportunity to beef up your insulation. You can put an inch or two of foamboard insulation under the new siding for relatively little expense but a lot of potential gain.
strategery is offline   Reply With Quote